Totaled 944 question

Rob O

You could probably get $1,000 back out of it. Is it worth 40 hours+ of your time taking it apart? Price is a little high considering the interior and exterior are trashed, and motor might be damaged from the front end impact. If the Fuchs wheels are not bent, and in good shape, they are worth something.

I just talked to the guy and he told me this:

From the impact, there was a hit to the distributor so he bought a spare engine that is one year newer or older. It also has a good transaxle. His brother wrecked it and he bought a spare to fix it one day and that day never came. Now he wants it out of his garage.

Am I right that I have to have a Porsche title to join and run with PCA?

For $1000, I would expect a running and driving 944, or something close to it. Like Eric said, you could get your money out of this, but you wouldn't make much for the time it takes you.

You want it for the title so you can join PCA? Not sure I understand that, but if you plan to either part it out or rebuild it, around my area you can get much cheaper 944's with alot less damage. If those wheels are in good shape and it has good tires, I'd say you'd do slightly better than breaking even on that car for parts...not counting your labor.

I have run PCA with my 944 and it does not have a title since I don't use it on the street. I am not aware of any requirement to have a title for PCA. You should check with them before considering this car. I have purchased several running 944's for about the same cost as this one.

Big Dog

Wow thats what my racecar looked like after a 100 mph bender at Buttonwillow. it took me a weekend,$400.00 in body parts and a come along to tweek back the frame. It aligned perfectly and I was back on track for the next event.

I just got a return email from the local PCA guy and he confirmed I do not have to own a Porsche or hold a title of any type to run in their DE events. He said they will be happy to take anyone's money, ha ha. So all considerations are closed on getting a junker.

Now if they will hold a DE event there next year maybe I'll finally get to drive that track.

Thanks guys.

Am I right that I have to have a Porsche title to join and run with PCA?

Yes and no.

To be a PCA member you do need to "Own" a Porsche. I have been PCA for 12 years so I forget when is entailed. Probably do need a Vin. However you may not need to join PCA to run track events. It all depends on the local region. Around here you need not be a PCA member to run autocross or track days. However in places where the PCA track events are full then members will get priority as you would expect. In some places where demand is very strong I have even heard that members need to bring their Porsche to the event. Those bring non-Porsche get second priority.

Again it really depends on the region and how they run their events. Best advice is to contact the region directly about their events. Also if you join PCA National also join the local region. They are seperate, but PCA National does not hold any events. All events are held by the region. A few might get some national support, but all activity is at the regional level.

Now buying a junker car just for the Vin to join to get track time is a little shady. How that will be recieved by the local region guys an unknown. As I said here in the Az region I would just sign up as a non-member. Autocross and track days are never so full that they would turn away someone willing to pay.

I would not buy a VIN just to join. I would/did consider buying a junker to join and would not think it was shady. Who knows, I may develope a love for the brand just like I developed a love for NASA. I did a ride along in a Porsche (older 911 I think) at a local event and the car was very impressive. I know ZERO about Porsche cars/engines but always willing to learn.

The local PCA group is fine with non-members running there DE events so I will just wait and see if they or PBOC holds an event at Barber in 2010 and sign up EARLY and cross my fingers I don't get bumped.

Liquid,

The PCA is happy to have more members who love Porsches. It's about the people. I've been a member since Feb 1985.

If a person is interested in joining PCA or just learning more about the cars, I give them a VIN so they can complete the application, get their card, and start attending the social, technical, and driving events. They usually end up buying a 944! It's sad for me to have someone new roll up to my shop door with their new 944 type car, which they bought knowing nothing about, only to have me inform them that they have just purchased a $2,500 barely rolling, oil leaking hand grenade off some used car lot. But it's shiny!!! No. Better to bring them into the group first, teach them about the 944's, and have them make a smarter purchase.

BTW, you join PCA at the National level, then you are assigned to a local region. You can't join the region first.

I believe there might be some insurance issues involved if you drive at a PCA event but aren't a member, regardless of whether you're driving your Porsche or not.