Water/Methanol Injection

Lucid Moments

I run a supercharged Honda. With my particular combination of motor and supercharger intercooling/aftercooing is not a practical application so I am considering injecting a mix of water and methanol to help control intake air temps.

My question is will it be a safety issue to have my reservoir located inside the drivers compartment of the car? I would probably use a small fuel cell for this. I know they make very small cells for drag racing and I thought I could adapt one of those. I'm thinking between 1 and 2 gallons tops.

Are you thinking about running it for the extra octane or just for the cooling benefit?

If you don't need the octane you would get more cooling effect from running only water and there would be no issue with it in the drivers compartment.

Are you thinking about running it for the extra octane or just for the cooling benefit?

If you don't need the octane you would get more cooling effect from running only water and there would be no issue with it in the drivers compartment.

Both really. Unless it is a problem then I would run only water. I think it is unlikely to be an issue if done properly but I thought I would check.

I would think as long as you used a fuel cell and followed all of the rules regarding one (bulkhead, steel lines if inside the passenger compartment, etc.) there would be no problems.

this would be something I'd have a long chat with my tech guys about before I started turning wrenches

Yea I figued I would talk to Pete at RA

• National Staff

If you are thinking about running it in TT or PT or ST, methanol is not permitted. For HPDE and SU, I believe there will be a clarification in the CCR sometime soon regarding the use of methanol and the required fuel cell, etc.

If you are thinking about running it in TT or PT or ST, methanol is not permitted. For HPDE and SU, I believe there will be a clarification in the CCR sometime soon regarding the use of methanol and the required fuel cell, etc.

I'm not talking about methanol as the primary fuel for the engine, but spraying a small amount of it into the intake as cooling. And then not pure methanol but a water/methanol mix. Still as mentioned earlier if that becomes an issue I can use straight water.

Good to know though that it might not be allowed. I'm in HPDE now, but will try to move up into TT next year so that is definitely something to consider.

Hi Greg -

I'm confused. This is copied and pasted from the engine/drivetrain section of the TT classification forms, line 22:

Water injection system +6 (An alcohol-water mixture is permitted, but the driver must notify Race Control and Safety

that it is being used.)

Can you either expand on or clarify this?