Tube vs Tub definition question

stamper

I have a Porsche factory trans am 924 GTR (with 3L NA motor) that I want to run in GTS next season, and I need some clarification.

What exactly is the "stock uni body". In 1982 and 3 when this car ran Trans Am, the rules did not allow tube frame cars, but they defined the "tub" as the rockers/frame, cross pieces, A and B pillars and roof. On my car, all of that is original sheet metal. Everything forward of the firewall and rearward of the B pillar is tube.

I consider this a tube chassis, but what would the GTS ruling be? The reason I ask is that by HP/weight it belongs in GTS5 (is an SCCA GT2 car and runs against the cup cars, which are GTS5 cars). However, if it is "tube", then it automatically bumps into GTSU, where it does not belong in terms of performance.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

What region are you in? Without being able to see the car it's difficult to make an assessment, and I'd like to see if a Regional Tech inspector can come take a look at the car and provide an opinion.

While the definition Mark provided above was in place at one point in time (I believe) it doesn't allow for the using of tube front ends (and rear ends in Porsche platforms).

Do body panels, especially in the cabin area, bolt to tube or Porsche manufactured mounts (e.g. the firewall, rocker panels mounted to the floor pan, etc.)?

If you'd like, you can send me photos or video highlighting the interior of the passenger compartment and I may be able to provide an answer ... [email protected]. Or, you can give me a call at 720.270.2147 and we can talk through the specifics and try to arrive at an answer.

Ian