HPDE 2?

nonsense

I have done 3 open track days (at Streets of Willow Springs) and I have also done the Bondurant 3-day Grand Prix Road racing school. Upon completing the school I got a card that said I meet the novice requirements from the SCCA. This year I want to focus on doing NASA HPDE's

Given the experience I have should I sign up for HPDE 1 or 2? I imagine that HPDE 1 would start out a little slow for me, but should I start there and see if I get bumped into 2? My other concern is that my car isn't exactly fast (100hp Civic coupe with moderate suspension work) and I don't want to get in the way of faster cars/drivers.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thx

Steve

HPDE 1 and 2 run in the same session, so you're probably safe with 2.

Are you signing up for a Socal event?

Thanks for the info. I'll most likely sign up for the Feb 12-13 Willow event.

• National Staff

I agree with Jim. Sign up for HPDE 2, and ask for an instructor if you want one. With 3 days at Streets and 3 more with Bondurant, I suspect you'll be in HPDE 3 before you know it.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with Jim. Sign up for HPDE 2, and ask for an instructor if you want one. With 3 days at Streets and 3 more with Bondurant, I suspect you'll be in HPDE 3 before you know it.

well I just signed up for Feb 12th at Willow Springs in HPDE 2. Will I need to ask for an instructor when I get to the track or before?

Thanks for all the help,

Steve

well I just signed up for Feb 12th at Willow Springs in HPDE 2. Will I need to ask for an instructor when I get to the track or before?

Thanks for all the help,

Steve

if you have ran at the track befor sign up for 2. If its a new track sign up for one, that one the instructor can help you learn the line then you can go with out them after that

You could do two things.

1). Sign up for group 2 and see how well you are doing before asking for an instructor.

2). Sign up for group 1, run with an instructor. If you are doing fine, they will move you to group 2.

If at any time someone wants an instructor, usually one can jump in the car and give you some pointers. Sometimes to go faster all you need is a few pointers from an instructor, other times it's seat time which doesn't require an instructor.

With a few events under your belt, I'd say sign up for group 2 (no intructor but in the "slowest" of the run groups) and adjust from there. Generally speaking group 1 and 2 is for people who are working on their speed, and the instructors are mandatory for people the it's their first time on any track or need to get familiar with the track. If you're advancing through HPDE and can't seem to go faster, an instructor is always available to help.

Also, I'd say find an instructor at least once an event to do a ride along with you for every track you go to. Some may know a particular track better than others and have different tips for you on different sections of that track. I'll be at the same event instructing and would be more than happy to ride with you.

I'll also suggest that if you're learning a track, or having trouble with a particular part of a track, chat up the corner workers on that station(s). They stand there all day, watching the fast and the slow take the corners, and they see a lot more than most people think. The ones that are also drivers sometimes see more that's helpful to a driver, but that's certainly not a given.