Need a Christmas gift suggestion...

JSG1901

For reasons I can't quite comprehend, my brother has never been a car guy. FINALLY, for his 50th birthday, he has thrown aside his childish stick-and-ball games and surprised himself with a new Boxster S.

Having already told him he's going to have to try HPDE events, I'm encouraging the habit. On his Christmas list this year is this request I would love to fulfill...

...Or, as an alternative, I’m about to get a sports car and yet my knowledge of automotive things is pitiful (a tremendous disappointment, I realize). I won’t be doing my own oil changes or tune-ups, but it would be nice to know a bit more about cars. For example, I don’t have a clue what understeer and oversteer means or what a MacPherson strut is. So if you know of any good books that would fill in some gaps without getting too deep that might be even better since I know you know this stuff so well.

I'm surprised he's asked for this (and even more surprised he knows the terms "oversteer," "understeer" and "MacPherson strut") but I don't know that I know of any good books as basic as what he's looking for.

Therefore, I'm appealing to this august body for your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Porsche Performance Driving by Vic Elford. Old, but still very good. Highly recommend. Got a few other 2nd choices and will post when I can remember the names.

Ross Bentley has some good stuff, speed secrets. it skips the ultra advanced engineering talk and as a result is a bit basic, it's mostly about driving technique so he would also learn how to drive better while getting in the basics (tells you what camber, toe, castor is etc, gives info about racing line and knowing what the tires are doing, how close to the limit you are). this book is about as basic as it gets in those terms.