Which Seats for HPDE/TT

bossman429

I just finished my first year of open track, and loved it.

I don't really want to do much else to the car, other than new seats and the proper roll bar or cage to use a 5 point harness with.

I am doing HPDE now, and for this car, probably wont get above anything more competitive than time trials.

If I want to go all out racing, I'll buy a car and make it a race car.

I am looking for some seats that will be an improvement over my stock seats (which would be anything really), and have the pass throughs for a 5 point.

I'm not looking to break the bank account but not looking for some cheap JDM's or anything like that.

Adjustablity isn't a big deal for me, although if its safe I'd like to put it on sliding tracks. Tilt is not a concern I'm ok with a Fixed back seat, I don't drive it enough on the street to worry about that. (maybe 3 times last yr, and twice was to bed in pads before going to the track the next day lol!)

I was looking at the Sparco Fighters. Any suggestions or reviews? Any alternatives?

The Sparco evo line is a nice seat for the track. My favorite seat though are the Recaro pole positions. They are more expensive but very comfortable.

Whats the differences between the Evo and Fighter. I mean, I know one is a "comp" seat and one isn't, but if anything it looks like the fighter has more lumbar support than the Evo, and they are both fixed back. And the fighter is $150 cheaper.

The OMP looks nice, but at $730 a pop I'd probably just go with pole position (same with the Evo's).

Are Corberues (sp?) crap, they seem to be the price leader

Corbeau makes a bunch of entry-level seats, but to be honest, the cheap ones aren't going to do what you're looking for them to do. Another factor you should look at is construction. A lot of the corbeau are tube-frame seats, which simply have the pads attached to a perimeter frame. They're comfortable, but they're pliant, and not all that much of an improvement over the stock seats. If you're looking to do this on somewhat of a budget, take a look at Ultrashield or Kirkey. They look like mideival torture devices, but they're surprisingly comfortable, and they SERIOUSLY hold you in place. They are also available in a variety of widths, so you get the CORRECT one, not the "one size fits all" deal.

Newoffice2.jpg

These are a pair that I put into my 2006 Mustang, with Simpson latch-link belts, and the difference between those and the stockers is astounding. I can drive with my fingertips, and I can feel every wiggle, shimmy or shake, which makes driving closer to the edge a lot easier.

As for the comfort factor, on the highway, I need to stop after about 90 minutes and get out and stretch, but that's also a function of having a full rod-end suspension in the rear, and pretty hard suspension in general.

Please, please, please think about at least a roll bar for your Mustang along with the seats and harnesses.

I backed my 2001 with stock seats, no roll bar into the wall at Road Atlanta turn 12 and BOTH seats broke backwards. I did not hit very hard (maybe 15 - 20 mph).

Now if you want a good deal on tokico D-spec shocks and H&R race springs let me know. Those plus caster/camber plates and 17" tires made my V6 competetive in Time Trials. They helped the car turn in and stick very well.

I will be putting at least a roll bar in, I wouldnt use a harness without that or a cage.

Just figuring out which seats I like first.

I'll look into the Kirkey and Ultra shields

I have the Ultrashield Rally Sport in the 15" and 16" widths for driver and passenger respectively. I really like them a lot. If you rarely drive on the street, these will work great for you. I got the Rally model because it has the shoulder wings, but doesn't make it hard to get in and out of the vehicle like the Road Race. The Spec Miata model is cheaper, but it doesn't offer shoulder support. Because it is an aluminum seat, it offers a lot of versatility with mounting options. Just find the correct mounting point, and use sufficient hardware.

BTW, I'd buy a 6-pt, rather than a 5-pt harness.

Here's the best price I found when I searched for mine. They don't kill you on shipping either. When you get the box in the mail, you'll see they were quite reasonable with the shipping. I think both of my boxes are now used for artificial Christmas tree storage.

http://www.soloperformance.com/Ultrashield-Rally-Sport-Seat_p_1365.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

miata10.th.jpg

Another vote for the Ultra-Shields. I have the road race seat for the driver and the Rally Sport seat for the passenger. They are unbelievable for the track and liveable on the street. Especially for the price.

I have the FX1 Pro from Corbeau in my '90 Vette. They are vey comfortable and I do not move around. I am a big guy with not a whole lot of room in the Vette and they fit snug but well. I drive the car to and from school, in warm weather, which is a 3 hour drive.

FX1-29507-SR-L.jpg

I have the FX1 Pro from Corbeau in my '90 Vette. They are vey comfortable and I do not move around. I am a big guy with not a whole lot of room in the Vette and they fit snug but well. I drive the car to and from school, in warm weather, which is a 3 hour drive.

FX1-29507-SR-L.jpg

Keith Tanner (Flyin' Miata) used those in his Targa Newfoundland miata. He seamed to like them a lot. I was shopping that seat, but because I have a miata and limited fab skills, I used the Ultrashield to get as low as possible. Keith modified the feet on the bottom of the seat to have it sit flush with the floor. You also don't need a seatback brace with the FX1 Pro or it's wider FX1 version (FIA rated). Although they do come with threaded holes in the seatback for you to install one if you choose.

Bossman,

I personally have the Cobra Milano seats mounted on sparco double locking sliders. I prefer the fixed back seat due to the stories I heard of seats breaking if backed up to a wall.

I would suggest taking a trip to Stable Energies in Garfiled where you can try numerous seats and see what fits YOU. Bob has great customer service and will steer you in the right direction.

http://www.stableenergies.com/

FX1-29507-SR-L.jpg

Keith Tanner (Flyin' Miata) used those in his Targa Newfoundland miata. He seamed to like them a lot. I was shopping that seat, but because I have a miata and limited fab skills, I used the Ultrashield to get as low as possible. Keith modified the feet on the bottom of the seat to have it sit flush with the floor. You also don't need a seatback brace with the FX1 Pro or it's wider FX1 version (FIA rated). Although they do come with threaded holes in the seatback for you to install one if you choose.

Yeah I am a tall guy and to get it to fit right I had to cut the feet off the back and shim the front. I ended up not using the sliders and just bolted it to the floor. Good price though for the comfort and the way it holds.

Bossman,

I personally have the Cobra Milano seats mounted on sparco double locking sliders. I prefer the fixed back seat due to the stories I heard of seats breaking if backed up to a wall.

I would suggest taking a trip to Stable Energies in Garfiled where you can try numerous seats and see what fits YOU. Bob has great customer service and will steer you in the right direction.

http://www.stableenergies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that info! I'll look into that before I make any decisions!

Well I went to Stable Engergies today, Bob and Joe were great.

I actually like the Kirkey seats the best. The Intermediate was good and I loved their Containment seat.

I was too tall for almost all the sparco/recaro seats, except the EVO Plus and that just didnt seem to hug me enough, either on the legs or the shoulders.

I'm waiting for them to get me a price on installing the seats, racing roll bar and harness... Then Im going to see how the budget is looking.

If the install cost is too much I'll do it myself, but i'd rather have someone else with all the proper resources do the job from top to bottom.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Tip for you as a potential TT driver: make sure the shoulder holes in the Seat are high enough for you to wear a HANS device and still have the shoulder belts fit properly, and not bind with the seat holes...this means having the holes about 2" higher than normal.

I had to have my Kirkely holes special cut since I "sit tall" in the seat and run a HANS device.

Tip for you as a potential TT driver: make sure the shoulder holes in the Seat are high enough for you to wear a HANS device and still have the shoulder belts fit properly, and not bind with the seat holes...this means having the holes about 2" higher than normal.

I had to have my Kirkely holes special cut since I "sit tall" in the seat and run a HANS device.

Thats one of the things I liked best about the Kirkey, the sparcos had holes about halfway down my shoulder level, the EVO Plus was about 1/4 way down. The Kirkey seats had holes about 1/2" above the top of my shoulders, and they were closer together as well.

I'm starting to think why not just get the HANS device as well now, I mean, is there any down side to it really?

HANS is great for some people and some cars, but, be sure to at least take a peek at their competitors to make sure there isn't anything that might fit your situation better and I'll second the recommendation to go ahead and get some kind of head/neck protection if you're already going to all this trouble with seats, bars, etc. Might as well get the whole puzzle completed

I'm starting to think why not just get the HANS device as well now, I mean, is there any down side to it really?

I wear a HANS in HPDE3 and am glad I have it. Haven't needed it yet thank goodness but still. IMHO go ahead and get something now. That way you can go ahead and get used to it. Ken has a point about looking at all the options though.

HANS is great for some people and some cars, but, be sure to at least take a peek at their competitors to make sure there isn't anything that might fit your situation better and I'll second the recommendation to go ahead and get some kind of head/neck protection if you're already going to all this trouble with seats, bars, etc. Might as well get the whole puzzle completed

Ken's got it right, as usual. Last year, I made the decision to invest in some safety gear, and a head/neck restraint was my first pick. THAT drove the decision to put a rollbar, seats, and harnesses in the car.

HANS has become rather a generic name for a head/neck restraint, sort of like "Grab me a Kleenex on the way back from the Xerox machine." When I bought, I wound up picking the DefNder setup. It offers some additional side-impact restraint, as well as a better belt-restraint to keep the belts on the device. It only came in one fugly colour then, but they are available in black now. They're also (supposedly) working an an adapter for use with 3-point belts, which would be huge for me as an instructor, but that's been in the works for well over a year now, so I have stopped holding my breath.

Group19-5-09202.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question, but I couldn't find the answer on either manufacturer's website. Are these aluminum seats FIA approved for racing? If not, does that still mean they're okay for HPDE and then TT?

I don't know of any aluminum seats that are FIA approved. They'll still probably be ok if they're well built, you'll just need to use a seat back brace is all.

he'll need the seat back brace if he goes racing, but not for HPDE or TT.

thanks,

bruce

I don't know of any aluminum seats that are FIA approved. They'll still probably be ok if they're well built, you'll just need to use a seat back brace is all.