Yet another 924S Question - What's this plug under the hood?

loftygoals

This 1987 924S had some small differences from my 1983 944. Most of them are obvious, but I can't figure this one out. What is this plug attached to the rear engine lifting eye?

plug.jpg

Thanks,

-bj

This 1987 924S had some small differences from my 1983 944. Most of them are obvious, but I can't figure this one out. What is this plug attached to the rear engine lifting eye?

plug.jpg

Thanks,

-bj

redx.jpg

plug.jpg

Thanks,

-bj

redx.jpg

I see it just fine.

BJ, pretty sure that's a diagnostic port, but you might want to wait for confirmation before you remove it.

I'm not going to di anything with it. I'm just trying to ensure that something important shouldn't be plugged in there.

Thanks!

-bj

• 4 weeks later...
Bj,

Just for the heck of it I will throw my hat in the ring and say it looks very much like the O2 sensor plug.

Yeah, Ray, that's what I thought it was too. I haven't started to put the motor back together, yet so I'm still not sure.

This little 924S is going to be a nice little car when I get done with it.

-bj

02 sensor is the same type of plug, but mounted horzontally behind the cam tower - you should be able to see the wire going down to the exhaust from that plug. Both of my '88 cars had this plug, and it was left open, or removed.

3.3 race cars ( 3 separate cars raced primarily [one owned twice] + part owned one rental)

2 street cars

3 parts cars

That makes 8.3

I'm down to 3 total now. 1 street, 1 race car, and 1 (long term) build - may be HPDE ready next year.

I finally know the answer!!!!

It's part number 911 606 108 00. It's a sensor for detecting TDC! I found the other end of it floating free. It's #24 in the diagram at this link: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/924S-86-88/901-05.php

BTW, if you've never used the Auto Atlanta site, you should. It is awesome for finding parts!

-bj