New-B

fmahonii

Hi to all.

I have been wanting to break in to this (NASA/Grassroots racing) for a long time.

This may sound crazy but here goes:

For my car (ongoing project) I have an 87 Olds Cutlass Salon (think 442 without the stripes), holding a 1966 333 Olds motor, 200-4R trans, cage (soon) 15x8 wheels....figuring the car to be about 3500 lbs, 400 hp. I know, I know, big cars can't be fast...so I'm told. But this is my car I want to participate in.

Track time to me, would be the fun factor, win or lose.

So, based on the rules, what class(es) would I be eligible for? If any?

Opinions are greatly appreciated, and am looking forward to hearing from ALL of you.

Ummm........as far as racing, no experience at all. I am just starting to venture into the sport myself. I've never been able to do it before now, and when I have the car done, I want to run it.

could possibly fit American Iorn. If not or if you don't like their ruleset there is a place for every car in the Performance Touring or Super Touring series.

Get it track-worthy and start getting some HPDE track time to start working your way up to racing, you'll be hooked before you know it

Yea, without racing experience, HPDE is going to be the way to start to pursue your goals. The NASA HPDE program is very structured and run well. Best of luck!

You wouldn't be the largest GM car to run American Iron or HPDE , you defintly have a leg up because of the parts that have been developed for short track oval (street stock & IMCA modifieds) I think the G chassis has better aftermarket support than the 4th gen.camaro has had. Take your time and develop the car and your driving. Most of all have fun!

• 1 month later...

Here is my encouragement to you.

Get some good tires, fresh fluid - especially brake fluid and take it to the track.

Have a good photographer take lots of pictures. These will point out the issues with the suspension.

Autocross the car and learn to make it DANCE.

More track time

Read the CCR and class rules.

More track time

Make one mod at a time to improve the suspension.

Hey if a guy can come out to Road Atlanta in an old Police car in time trials you can fix up that car to be competetive.

I must see this car at the track before I die.

I'm not entirely sure what you've got for brakes, but those may limit your speed more than your suspension in your current form.

Yes, you want to get used to your car before you modify that, but I think those brakes may merit special exemption.

Before your first HPDE, I would recomend adding the biggest transmission cooler you can fit in the car, as well as the biggest power steering cooler. I'm guessing you have small front disks and drums in the rear... you're just going to have to take it easy on those. I think the Turbo Buick guys may have sorted something out in terms of 4 Wheel disks, god knows they can't leave their cars alone, I'd check with them.