A few questions

Iroc-Z89

Introducing myself, I have a pure stock 89 Iroc-Z TPI305 with a 5spd and 3.45 rears. dual exhaust, 36,000 miles etc............ I would eventually like to get into organized racing, as within the next two to five years. I am currently building a two bolt main 350 sbc. I would like to know if there are any parts that may not be used on the car, if the cars must remain stock. Do the cars require roll cages, exhaust decibel level requirements? Do all parts have to be publicly available; any tire restrictions, I do not believe street tires are applicable. How old you must be; currently I am seventeen. How much are fees for the licensing (I will probably apply at Panoz for instruction) and how fast is the average car that runs these races, 1/4 mile, top speed, 0-60. Once again thank you for your time.

check out the rules on the nasa web site. I have a 87 formula that i'm hoping to run in AI in 2005. Just start with HPDEs first that will get you some good seat time. I would run your car just the way it is for the HPDEs. as long as the car is in good shape. You just need a mech sound car and an approved helmet to start out.

cool, car is perfect condition, not a scratch on the original paint just want some more high end horsepower....... before i hit the track. Dont want to be having the four cylinder sedans beat on me too much.

you really don't need power at this point. If you are itch'n to spend money, do it on suspension and brakes but you really don't need to. If the motor and tranny are in good cond. don't mess with the the motor until you toast it!! Just keep building on the 350 for a back up when the 305 gives up the ghost. most cars are not making serious power any way only in AIX are they making 400-600hp but the cars are way lighter . so to start out keep it simple just get track time and get used to the car the way it is. Then do the modifications as you get more track time. Just sign up for an hpde get a helmet and bleed your brakes add new fluid if anything just make sure the car is in good shape ie: motor, tranny, brakes, and suspension.

If you want to race this particular car within a couple years, Camaro-Mustang Challenge (CMC) would probably be the easiest class to start in. Check the rules, almost no engine mods are allowed in CMC so don't start changing the car until you have both some seat time and a clear plan for going racing.

As for "getting beat on by 4-cylinder sedans", forget about that. Evos and STIs are 4-cylinder sedans and they are a LOT faster than your car. Miatas will run away through the twisty bits. Forget about all that, starting out the driver's skill level outweighs most vehicle performance differences. At the first couple events the learning curve is very steep, nothing you do to your car is going to make as much of an impact on lap times as your progression along that curve.

Brake pads and fresh hi-temp brake fluid. The car sounds dead reliable as is, just what you need for HPDEs. Besides, at every event the car will tell you where you need to focus your attention next - and more power is seldom what's most needed. Problems that would never show up on the street can often sideline you at the track.

yeah i understand. though most newer sports cars show my car's age, mustangs, vettes (which i can usually eat up.... 80's) and sadly said the neon.....srt. (it hurts to admit) which i am sure the mustang/vette guys will say as well. Though WRX's are fun, (less torque). have a nice nite guys