Newbie question on tires for HPDE events

bellwilliam

hi, newbie here:

I have a 04 GTO, planning to take it to HPDE events. would like suggestions on some good dry / hot / track tires. I am in socal region, so most likely will run in 100+ degree weather. looking for something that can run at full tread, that will hold up in hot weather. preferably cheap and long lasting

I have been looking at Kumho MX, Falken Azenis. I will do some auto-x also, but it seems track tires and auto-x tires are completely opposite. auto-x tire need to be sticky at cold. track tire need to hold up when hot.

also should the tires be heat cycled?

The choice is a dedicated track tire that is durable, progressive and fun to drive

TOYO RA-1's is the premier product with DOT-R tire of 100 tread wear rating

Drive them to the track and have the best of both worlds

Marty

GPTmotoring

[email protected]

Authorized TOYO tire motorsports dealer of Socal

Prevailing wisdom is NOT to begin learning to drive on track on R-compounds. The Azenis are a better track tire than the MXs - except in very wet conditions - and should serve you well for your first season!

I do have some track experiences, and used to drive R-compound tires in early 90s. But I am looking for something that's cheap, long lasting, most importantly, that will hold up under heat, it gets really hot in the desert. I heard that Azenis does not hold up well in warm weather, don't know if that is true? are there any other tires you would recommend? thanks.

Any street tire will go away (overheat) under a heavy, powerful car. Azenis can be brought back if you're willing to soft-pedal for a lap.

If you are used to Rs then definitely get a shaved set, They will hold up better than anything in the desert. RA1s are definitely cost-effective as they last a long time.