UUC shortshifter

Scany

Just thought I'd share this. Last night I ordered the UUC raceshifter with the DSSR. I'm pretty excited to see how this will work out since I obviously need more precise shifter after my money shift last at Summit.

UUCRSK_6.jpg

I know there are cheaper options out there that work. UUC had a 15% off and free shipping and their shifters have a good reputation. I'll post back when I get it in the car and try it out. Of course all bushings gets replaced as well

Anyone else want to share their shifter solutions?

• Members

Guys, be careful with the agressive short shifters, they are fun for the street, but when driving in anger, I have found that I prefer to have a longer (stock) shift distance because it helps to ensure I am in the right gear.

When you decrease the distance between the gates and the throws, you are reducing the margin of error to save you in the event of a brainfart. I have often found that when shifting into fourth gear between turns 8 and 9 at Summit, it is easier than I would like to find 2nd.

Also, your trans only has so much capability in terms of syncing the gears when you shift, so your hand's ability to pull the level may not be the limiting factor.

Please, don't take my comments the wrong way, I love SS'ers for the street, I just wanted to share my experiences as I have used them previously on the track as well.

6 weeks until 2010 KICKS OFF!!!!

I recommend race quality tranny and engine mount bushings, and shifter bushing rebuild to prevent "money shifts"...less engine/tranny flopping around will make better up and down shifts...

Nice buy Anders...you should probably fix that motor first though

I've got the Evo3 SSK with the DSSR and have very much enjoyed it for the entire season. Haven't had any issues. I also bought a clutch stop which I found to be very nice, but takes some trial and error to get it right...I'm still working on mine.

I'd like to see how the race shifter compares to the Evo3 when you get your car back up and running.

I'm tracking an engine down for you from a 325ia up in the NJ/NYC area that is like $3/400 with 93k on it if you're interested. Might save some time and money pulling yours all apart and repairing!

Good luck with the install and enjoy!

^^^ Thanks for chiming in Andrew! I was considering the EVO3 with DSSR as well.

Anders : You sure the DSSR with the racing short shifter will clear the guibo joint? I know the DSSR has a groove cut out on the bottom but the angle of the SR changes when using with the short shifter. Please confirm.

Some new development in this case (as I am taking the head off the engine ):

UUC don't have the raceshifter in stock and in no near future they said. I'm going to call them on Monday to see when it might be coming in. I'm pulling the trans while the head is off to get to those bolts a bit easier, so I thought the SSK should be added while the box is out.

Taking the wise words from Jon and my friend Craig I'm starting to doubt if the whole SSK in a racecar is a good idea. I had it in my E30 and liked it. I also feel the throw is way too far stock in the E36, so I think I would benefit from a shorter throw, but maybe not too short. The shifter isn't too hard to change while the trans is in the car I guess, so I can always go back, or to another one. I think it's the bushings that's a pain to replace while it's in.

Mani: I have not heard of any problems with the DSSR hitting anything. It should be further away as the connection point is higher. Or am I imagining this wrong?

If the raceshifter won't be able to get here in time I'll try to cancel it and just get a DSSR for another shifter. I've heard good things about a $20 eBay shifter and the Z3 OEM shifter. The EVO3 is way pricey for me at this point. I believe the difference is the EVO3 uses a bearing and it's adjustable.

I also agree, mounts and bushings is probably going to prevent miss shifting more than anything else.

Now back to the garage to get that head off and see the damage...

PS

Andrew: I'm still interested in a replacement engine. I'm sure if I fix this I'll be able to break it again soon A backup would be handy.

i got the z3 shifter and new tranny bushings when i got the car last year.

i have had any close calls, so far so good. its def a lot shorter then stock

and a lot more precise feeling. cant argue with the price i think like 75 for shifter

and all the other new small pieces that go with it.

stock felt like a truck to me :P

i got the z3 shifter and new tranny bushings when i got the car last year.

i have had any close calls, so far so good. its def a lot shorter then stock

and a lot more precise feeling. cant argue with the price i think like 75 for shifter

and all the other new small pieces that go with it.

stock felt like a truck to me :P

do you have a part # for this Z3 shifter? pelican parts is confusing the uneducated me.

do you have a part # for this Z3 shifter? pelican parts is confusing the uneducated me.

No im not sure of the part number, i do remember buying it from this website though.

http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-shifters.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i went with the one they say is a "40%" reduction.

Cool, thank you, I'll do that.

• Members

In my old Spec E30, the E36M3 shift fork was a reducer and could be used, but it also had a slight clearance issue which made 2nd gear (when shifting from 1st during a stand start) a little difficult to engage.

If you install a Z3 or E36 M3 fork, make sure you try the car out before putting everything back together. You may find a little griding can go a long way to making your life easier later on.

4 WEEKS!!!

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately UUC could not produce and ship the race shifter in time. They were sorry about it and was giving me a good deal to make up for it, but I decided to cancel the order.

I think I will now go for the Z3M shifter at $55.

I now have the 40% shifter and a DSSR from understeer.com. It should be in before March event.

That seems like a good alternative also. I read something about the Z3M shifter being very short and off centered. The E36 M3 shifter might be an alternative since it's not as short as the Z3M. Anyone know if that's the 40% that understeer is selling?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the DSSR but it does not seem like it's the UUC one made of aluminium. The one I got looks different and seems to be stainless steel. How is yours Mani?

Got the DSSR but it does not seem like it's the UUC one made of aluminium. The one I got looks different and seems to be stainless steel. How is yours Mani?

I will take a closer look and let you know.

Mine looks like Aluminum. It is a little more shiny than the pictures on the UUC website, yes.