merkur xr4ti

pyropete125

is anybody going to or has run one?

I have an 89 xr4ti and am thinking about making it a track only car. i am not sure what direction I'd like to go with one of my XR4Ti's. It is a extremely solid car with no rot at all. It has an 8.8 IRS already, firewall cut out and set back 4", a t-56, etc, and I am thinking of making it a track only car. If I did that I would like to see what I could or could not do in whatever class so I didn't end up in a class with $200+K cars. I was also looking to see if it qualifies for any sort of vintage racing class. I am also looking for a 'fun' sort of class. I have rad that a lot of vintage guys 'drive' their cars at events rather than really being aggressive.

I did skip barbers school at limerock and I did new england lemons this past summer [11th out of 65+ teams Smile], which both were just AWESOME. It is actually a bit scary that some people who are hosting a track even will let just complete novices on a track with other people. I mean I just have this SFI 3.2 A5 suit and SA2005 helmet just sitting here waiting to be used

I have been trying to figure out what an XR4Ti could be a little competitive in. SCCA? NASA? or something else?

I would like to do some track events, like limerock or watkins glenn, not really autoX, but I would probably end up in a few I'm sure. This is not something I would really travel to campaign or anything.

The motor itself I can change. I have a few in various states and HP. I have a few of these cars and one currently with a ford 2.3L block with a volvo 16v b234f cylinder head modified to run

would that qualify under these rules? I am located in CT.

thanks all,

pete

Oh yes. At least 3-4 drivers of Merkur's came out of the woodwork who were driving or building Merkur's when we accidentally left it off the approved marque list. If you don't hear anything soon, let me know and I'll see if I can dredge up contact info. Do a search here, you might find them that way.

Thanks Maduske, forget about me why dont you?

Hey Pete,

I also have a merk that Im building for GTS racing. GTS limits the car to the same marque engine as the original. so you could use the 2.3 originally found in the car or the Scorpio V6 engine but nothing else. Since the series is a power to weight series (meaning Transmission, suspension, driveline, etc is unlimited) you could easily make enough power to run in whatever class you wanted to with the 2.3T. Glad to hear another Merk wants to join the realm of road racing. Shoot me an email if you have any questions.

DSC_0932.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

5_dsc_0369.jpg

IMG_9551.jpg

Matt Morgan

NASA-SE

Chief of Flagging and Communications

Race Control

Faster than Maduske

Yes, that is what I understand that the block is what constitutes the "engine"per the rules. I wouldn't want to trust the seal provided by that alum.block that you had to weld or bolt to the back of the head but having never run that combo it anger I don't know how well it may survive. I only have run the cast iron head in NASA comp. but have 3 different Esslinger heads that I am looking forward to trying. I would want approval by Ian before I counted on running the Volvo head.

If you are looking for a great place to race your Merkur ,I believe that GTS is the only way to go. HP to weight classes,run what you brung and great people. Not like SCCA where we have to run with 800HP Corvettes in ITE just because we have a turbo car.

i have a virgin original SVO catalog "aluminum" 2300 head AKA esslinger i would probably use. the volvo head has more potential though with good cams [which there is a lack of]

what suspension mods have you done?

thanks,

pete

Konis coilovers up front with Afco double adjustables coilovers on the rear. Slotted inner swingarm mounts with rod ends replacing the rubber bushings in the swingarms (both mods help get the rear wheels at least pointed some what in the same direction.) Replacing the front subframe crossmember ,A arms, and new uprights with bolt on hubs (I had problems with the stock bearing setup. Front wheels kept wanting to part ways with the car, quite embarrasing! )all to let me lower the car to a reasonable ride height and have the roll center at a reallistic height. If I remember correctly you have installed a 8.8 which is a ton better than the stock 7" I want to install a quickchange but have to wait and see if $$ will be available. Look at the web site that someone posted Peter D.has a very nice Merkur and step by step instuctions on what he has done to get it competive.

Merkurs are SUPER cool! i really hope to see one racing sometime soon with NASA MA!

if you want to test out the racing waters without building a killer motor (like for GTS3), you could race with the PTx guys; what does a mostly stock 2.3T put down for power? around 180 to the wheels? i'd bet that would be really reliable (lower boost) and at the weight i'd expect that car to run (maybe 2900 or so with driver?) then you'd be right around the edge of PTE/PTD..... PTE has lots and lots of close competition (we fight it out for every tenth of a sec during qualifying!!!); the 'fast guys' are driving Sentra SE-Rs, Acura/Honda, and a Probe GT. your car, having a turbo, would have an advantage in off the corner torque, and i'm betting a pretty good advantage in top end speed... you'd have to count your points up carefully, and spend them wisely (like on brake upgrades and suspension upgrades) but i think a Merkur would be really cool out there! hope to see you soon!

todd

PS you'd need to get that motor making some pretty decent 'zip' for GTS3; i'm sure its totally possible, but plan on it having to last for 40 solid minutes during the sunday races at full chat in close to 100 deg heat (think hyperfest).

i have dynoed 408 hp and 375 tq at the wheels on a motor a few years ago, with a bone stock, never been out of the car bottom end, lost of head work and a precision SC50 turbo at 28 lbs of boost.

i cant find the dyno graph but here is a datalog http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60331/7-28--04.jpg

the motor i linked in the first post is probably a little more hp and tq. i can build a motor to any hp reasonably under 600, though cost goes way up after 500 or so.

here is some pics of various build states and parts:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60331/247905

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60331/1787982

pete

drag & dyno is different than beating on it repeatedly for 40-60min straight. I'd build conservative and work into it sure you knew that though

actually, to run in GTS 3 with the weight of these cars wouldn't require much effort at all. I calculated about 220 hp and 240 tq for the predicted weight of my car. Easily doable with the 2.3 T. Some head work, good fuel, timing and stock boost levels. plus its not that stressful on the motor. (and its cheap!)

• 4 weeks later...

Just joined the forum and the Merkur stuff caught my eye as I have a street XR4ti. Regarding engine combinations, there was an XR8 in Europe homologated for the European Touring Car series - it was built in South Africa and had a 302 H.O. engine with a T-5. I actually had the opportunity to drive one in 1986 while stationed in the UK. It's a 4-door but it was in the same body and it is a Ford engine. I have a 302-based engine in my XR, and it's a blast. A 331 with a supercharger and a T-5. 435rwhp 477tq at 6lbs of boost. It would make a great GTS car. Just a thought. A friend of mine makes the mounts and everything else you need to do the conversion. A 302 with aluminum heads is within 50 lbs of a stock 2.3. Cheaper to build and not on the ragged edge with high boost etc. It should be legal for GTS according to the rules. Just food for thought to you Merkur junkies!

Sorry, but that animal was never sold in North America. Just the Lima 2.3 used in the xr4ti or the 2.6/2.8 from the Scorpio is the only power plants legal for GTS.

Pete, we both know that horsepower is not that hard to get in the Merkur, but getting it to go around a corner--well that has been another story. Gee a 4.0 crank in a 2.8 block that just sounds like a parts breaker! Never really had any intrest in or luck with 2.6/2.8's It's been 25yrs+ since I wrenched on a friends old Capri II with a 2.8. Any mention of Cosworth brings up visions of cubic $$$.

is there really a lot of interest in people making an expensive hybrid cologne engine when its so much easier and cheaper to make all the power you need out of the Lima? The only reason I see to race one of those v6s is to be different. or if you have a lot of money and you can't think of something to do with it.

Matt

no i completely agree- the 2.3T is an awesome engine and a power to weight classification makes it a no brainer. i mean i can go pick up 3 motors within an hour for under $300- bolt my manifolds to them and make 250+ rwhp, and have it last through a race [i hope ]

• 1 month later...
Sorry, but that animal was never sold in North America. Just the Lima 2.3 used in the xr4ti or the 2.6/2.8 from the Scorpio is the only power plants legal for GTS.

Why does it matter if it was never sold in North America? I presume that's not the issue but rather that it was never in a Merkur vehicle. Or am I missing something here?

I'd LOVE to see some Merkur's out there, very cool. I don't own one, never have but have always been a fan.

Cheers.

hey id love o race a sierra rs cosworth with the 2.0 dohc or even the 4x4 version

but merkurs are $500 cars and cossies are $15-20K+ plus shipping