Tint - Yay or Nay

Tufast

I was planning on having my windows lightly tinted (35%) with Llumar ceramic film in the next few weeks, but wanted to make sure this would not cause any concerns regarding vision for racing. Ceramic or sputtered films are the newest innovation and tend to act like metallic films in that they reflect heat and UV very well without having to be extremely dark. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

There are many classes that prohibit tinting. You should look at the rules for the class you intend on running.

I don't remember seeing anything on prohibiting tint during my 1st read through on the rules for Time Trials, but I will give it another look to be sure. I plan on doing HPDE 1-4 then running in my class TTC for my factory equipped car & then moving up to TTB, TTA etc as I get better & add on mods.

FWIW, I DE'd with really dark** tint one the rear on all windows of my Integra (inc 4-6" on my windshield). Hand signals are out of the window.

When I built the car for PT, I removed the tint from the rear window (waaay too much work for me to ever want to do that again) but left the rest of the tint. In my car the 2 rear windows are useless. The door windows are always down, so no issue there. The windshields can typically have series or contingency banners, so no issue there.

Also, when I wrecked the tint kept the glass contained inside the door.

** Dark that is illegal, except that I have a medical exception

TT is part of HPDE so the car requirements are the same. And as far as I know there's no rule against window tint in HPDE as long as it's not so dark that the rearview mirror becomes useless.

Since point-by's and pit-in signals are out the driver window, the only time I can think of that rear window tint might be an issue is if/when you ever give the thoughtful but optional right-hand wave down the middle of the car (usually "I see you back there Mr. ZO6 and will point you by shortly" or "thank you Mr. Miata for pointing me by so quickly.")

Thanks for your responses.

Since the only other racing I may do besides TT is AutoX (NASA X) & I think that their rules are similar, I may have the windows tinted with light ceramic tint. This will be more for blocking heat & excessive sunlight, than for looks.

If I choose a helmet that can interchange face shield for tinted one, that may help as well.

If it were me I would take a serious look at either wearing sunglasses or running a tinted visor on the helmet - will cut down on the glare you see without adding any of the downsides that tinting the windows does

If it were me I would take a serious look at either wearing sunglasses or running a tinted visor on the helmet - will cut down on the glare you see without adding any of the downsides that tinting the windows does

Good point, I was planning on getting my helmet & a tinted lens B4 my 1st event & see how that goes. If good enough, I may let it ride at that, although when I'm not at the track, I like tinted windows & A/C...LoL

TT is part of HPDE so the car requirements are the same. And as far as I know there's no rule against window tint in HPDE as long as it's not so dark that the rearview mirror becomes useless.

Since point-by's and pit-in signals are out the driver window, the only time I can think of that rear window tint might be an issue is if/when you ever give the thoughtful but optional right-hand wave down the middle of the car (usually "I see you back there Mr. ZO6 and will point you by shortly" or "thank you Mr. Miata for pointing me by so quickly.")

Or, yes Mr. Corvette, you just got passed by a Miata, thank you!

Or, yes Mr. Corvette, you just got passed by a Miata {, Honda, or other econobox}, thank you!

Which is the typical manner in early DE levels

** Dark that is illegal, except that I have a medical exception

You got a medical exception for running into tire walls? Props!

For clarity purpose (for those other than Patrick), illegal on the street.

As for Patrick, there was no tint present last night and it didn't stop you from running me into a wall