Are on board cameras legal/ok to use during HPDEs?

Tufast

I purchased 2 GoPro Hero video cameras to tape my track time for referal in order to learn & benefit from. I was wondering if there are any rules against using these for HPDE events?

If they are OK to use for my learning benefit, would it also be OK to post the vids on another forum that I'm a moderator on (genesisforums.org), since many others on there are also following my learning progression regarding racing.

Yes, people use them all the time in HPDEs. Just make sure it's securely mounted and you should be OK.

Also, be sure to post a pic of your Genesis. I really like those cars. It should be interesting to see how they do on the track.

Yes, people use them all the time in HPDEs. Just make sure it's securely mounted and you should be OK.

Also, be sure to post a pic of your Genesis. I really like those cars. It should be interesting to see how they do on the track.

I've only had it 2 weeks & haven't even washed it or taken pics yet, but soon as I do I will post.

Thanks

video is a great tool to track progression and spot areas for improvement

Agreed, unless you use video to watch your bad habits over and over again before you know they are bad habits, then you have trouble unlearning 'em as you get faster.

To the OP, if you're gonna run video in HPDE1 and want to maximize its benefits after the fact, make sure it's in the cabin and make sure your instructor's voice is audible.

video is a great tool to track progression and spot areas for improvement

Agreed, unless you use video to watch your bad habits over and over again before you know they are bad habits, then you have trouble unlearning 'em as you get faster.

To the OP, if you're gonna run video in HPDE1 and want to maximize its benefits after the fact, make sure it's in the cabin and make sure your instructor's voice is audible.

Well, any recommendations on where to mount. I have a roll bar mounting kit, but no roll bar at this point.

Well, any recommendations on where to mount. I have a roll bar mounting kit, but no roll bar at this point.

From your other posts you seem to be quite intent on making your first HPDE1 cost as much as possible, so I'm guessing you will figure something out.

Does that car have removable rear headrests by chance? Or even removable front headrests. I've seen all sorts of homemade camera mounts rigged up involving those...

From your other posts you seem to be quite intent on making your first HPDE1 cost as much as possible, so I'm guessing you will figure something out.

Does that car have removable rear headrests by chance? Or even removable front headrests. I've seen all sorts of homemade camera mounts rigged up involving those...

Muhaha, yeah I do it up don't I, but at least I signed up under the southeast 1st one's free & saved about $350. I guess I'm just gung-ho, because I'm really looking forward to this. I want to do it right & get good, because this is not a one time outing for me.

The best tool to find where your problems are, don't forget the instructor for that as well, When I tried to film my DEs I would forget to turn the camera on and I wasn't unstrapping on the grid with my insturctor going why are you getting back out?....... When it's time to get up on the grid there where other things to worry about then the camera. Doesn't sound like this is your first time on track, I would wait to do the camera on the second day. A lot going on without having to worry about whether the camera is turned on or secured or even in the car

just my 2c.

The best tool to find where your problems are, don't forget the instructor for that as well, When I tried to film my DEs I would forget to turn the camera on and I wasn't unstrapping on the grid with my insturctor going why are you getting back out?....... When it's time to get up on the grid there where other things to worry about then the camera. Doesn't sound like this is your first time on track, I would wait to do the camera on the second day. A lot going on without having to worry about whether the camera is turned on or secured or even in the car

just my 2c.

Smart advice, I believe I will wait til the 2nd day when I'm a little more comfortable & not so frantic...LoL

But this is my 1st time on a road course, only other track experience I have is at the dragstrip when I was younger.

I suggest recording from the beginning since it will really help you see the progress through the day. Plus it could be a great source of embarrassment when you advance to racing in a year or two and your "friends" get a hold of the footage .

use the sticky mounts that came with your camera and put it at the top center of your windshield (outside) clean the area real good prior to the install. . snap the camera into the mount and your good to go. make sure you have a new set of batteries in it and a couple of extra sd cards The Go Pro cameras do eat batteries so have plenty of extras on hand make sure you read the camera info and put the camera in video mode otherwise you will have one nice picture of yourself looking at the camera while your verifying that the "on" light came on. good luck.

Rick

# 91

use the sticky mounts that came with your camera and put it at the top center of your windshield (outside) clean the area real good prior to the install. . snap the camera into the mount and your good to go. make sure you have a new set of batteries in it and a couple of extra sd cards The Go Pro cameras do eat batteries so have plenty of extras on hand make sure you read the camera info and put the camera in video mode otherwise you will have one nice picture of yourself looking at the camera while your verifying that the "on" light came on. good luck.

Rick

# 91

I finally opened the box/case the cameras came in & found all the sticky & suction cup mounting, so I should be fine. In addition to the sticky mount placement you recommended, I'm going to put one on the inside opposite of the one on the outside top center, so that the instructor will be more audible. I have got 8 AAA Energizer rechargeable batteries & I will bring the charger to recharge at night at the hotel.

Since I've got 2 cameras & my brother also has a Genesis Coupe (black 3.8L Track), we decided to mount the cameras on the cars this weekend & go have some fun. We figured we would head to Pine Mt to break these babies in. Nice curvy mountainous road should give some good footage, which I will post on here as well as genesisforums.org At least this will give me some practice time with the cameras, so I can focus more on driving that weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Newcars010.jpg

Newcars011.jpg

Current mods:

Mobile1 5w30 synthetic

Longer camber bolts with -2.0 camber up front

Frixa Race F&R pads (also have Frixa F&R street pads)

Ti backing plates

SS brake & clutch lines

Motul 600 DOT4 fluid

Oil accumulator & breather