1st HPDE...should I bring my tow hooks & fire extinguisher?

Tufast

Ok, by now everyone should have an idea of how gungho I am & how I love to dump money into my rides. Well I've got a pair of KPR tow hooks & a small fire extinguisher I can mount to the driveshaft hump between the seats. Should I bring these as precautionary measure or will this really be overkill at this point.

Thanks in advance for advice & patience.

Jerry

tow hooks - sure, beats them attaching to whatever they can grab if they need to pull you out of the way right that second.

fire extinguisher - eh, kinda overkill for HPDE1.

^ that's where my velcro comment above came from. One of the best blank stares I ever received was after I suggested to one of those "cool kids" at a car show that he may want to rethink his a-pillar-velcro extinguisher install if he liked his girlfriend and wanted to keep her face pretty. Same car had a 4-point harness with the shoulder belts run over and down the back of the seat then pressed between the seat bracket and the floor at the rearward mounting bolts. I think he literally drilled holes in the webbing to make it work

Well here is some pics of the fire extinguisher in question & couple of other shots. Just tell me if you think it is safe enough or not. It only has one strap, but has very little mass/weight. It will be held down by 8 self tapping screws through the unibody. But if you recommend, I could make a couple of those bolts with washers & lock nuts.

Racingprep007.jpg

Racingprep005.jpg

Racingprep002.jpg

Racingprep003-1.jpg

Tow hooks

Racingprep008-1.jpg

helmet & suit that Ron @ Discovery was so helpful with, hope to get shoes & gloves soon

Racingprep009.jpg

a couple of cameras to hopefully document & learn from

Racingprep001.jpg

Mounting looks good in terms of location, and the single strap should work because it appears to be a 1-pound extinguisher and nothing will be near it (I've seen those get unclipped accidentally by catching on shoes, pants, etc when they're in the passenger floorboard.)

Although IMHO that's pretty useless against any legitimate car fire, it'll be empty too quickly. You're better off to get the hell out of the car and watch it burn than to try to reach back and unclip that and use it to put out a fire. Most people do at least 2.5 pounds for a handheld, like this:

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=F01&Category_Code=FE-HH

^ and that one's probably cheaper than what you bought, too.

Also don't forget to pull the pin out before you go on track, it's one more thing you won't have time to fool with if/when you really need the extinguisher. Sorta like having to rack the slide before you join the gunfight...

Muhahaha....

Yeah, it is a puny thing & I was suprised myself when I received it. It usually just hangs in the shop, but I thought what the hell, it might even stand a chance of being used...LoL

but I thought what the hell, it might even stand a chance of being used...LoL

That's the running question we always ask of someone who just had a rollbar installed, 'if they had a chance to use it or not at their last event'

Decided against the fire extinguisher, but did install the tow hooks prior to event....glad I didn't need them at the track or on the way to & fro with all that snow...LoL