Redundant in belts: Harness legality question...

Driver

The rules and logic are clear in why 4 point hanesses are not legal. This is why harnesses are not allowed with OEM seats. They are also not allowed without roll bar.

The question: With a roll bar and with 5 points (mounted per the CCR 15.5 and having a solid shoulder harness guide), would a 5 point be allowed with an OEM seat? I have no qualms with punching a hole in the middle of my seat (and lining it such that nothing will fray the sub belt).

Failing that, would I be able to use both? Wearing the OEM seatbelts to satisfy the rules, and wearing the harness to satisfy my mistrust of 1991 safety restraint technology.

I drive the car long distances to the tracks, I'd like to avoid a racing seat if possible.

Sometimes you have to think about what's going to save your life rather than picking apart the CCR. I would never use a stock seat with harnesses, it just looks unsafe to me. There are plenty of aftermarket reclining seats that are quite comfortable that have harness pass through holes. If it's a dual purpose daily driver/HPDE car that's the direction I'd go.

Sometimes you have to think about what's going to save your life rather than picking apart the CCR.

That's exactly why I'm digging into the CCR and asking questions. I have much more faith in my harness than in the 1991 stock "passive restraint system". There has been quite a bit of thought put into this question.

It's not the reclining aspect of the seat that I'm looking to keep. In point of fact, the existing seat won't recline without hitting the cross bar. It's the padding and comfort level of the seat (and yes, saving a significant amount of money and fab work). I've been in many racing seats, some for stints of two hours, and I can't think of one that I'd want to drive 6 hours to Beaverun in. Racing support is different than cruising support, adn the existing seat has nifty features that alow it to change from one to the other: Adjustable side bolsters, tilt, and pneumatic bladders here and there. Yes, it's a heavy seat.

The intent is to make things as safe as possible with my existing equipment, and still pass tech. If tech says I have to run with just the OE belts, then that is what I'll have to do.