"Cheap " Transponder

bmerdoc

Hello,

I'm soon to be joining the TT cars on the track and was wondering where to find an affordable even used transponder. I'm a poor wanabe spec e30 racer.

Tony

Hello,

I'm soon to be joining the TT cars on the track and was wondering where to find an affordable even used transponder. I'm a poor wanabe spec e30 racer.

Tony

There is no such thing....

A racer here has a new one he wants to sell. It will be at registration this weekend at VIR. It is NIB.

I sucked it up and bought one for myself this year too....

Thanks for the input!

I had a feeling this is another aspect of HP driving that can not be attained cheaply, kinda like safety equipment. Gotta pay the piper.

Tony

Thanks for the input!

I had a feeling this is another aspect of HP driving that can not be attained cheaply, kinda like safety equipment. Gotta pay the piper.

Tony

Safety equipment at least has no-frills, but SFI/FIA compliant, options like G-Force, so you can save a few bucks. Transponders and spec-class tires are where the monopolies come in. AMB is great and all, but it doesn't do much more than transmit a serial number a foot or two to the ground... Their profit margin has got to be pretty big on that.

I already know about the tire sit. I'm running BF Goodrich R1s and as soon as those fade away I will switch to Hoosiers. It would be great if all drivers had to worry about was tires, brakes and gas. I'm sure you are all ware of the saying , " nobody rides for free!"

Tony

Thanks for the input!

Tony

Safety equipment at least has no-frills, but SFI/FIA compliant, options like G-Force, so you can save a few bucks. Transponders and spec-class tires are where the monopolies come in. AMB is great and all, but it doesn't do much more than transmit a serial number a foot or two to the ground... Their profit margin has got to be pretty big on that.

Thing about up front costs though.

Going to pretty much every track in the US (world maybe??) digging up a 2'x 20'-30' section of track. laying in the transmitter, and then repaving that section/filling it up. (maybe they use the trenchless/no dig stuff but its still expensive) Plus the software that everyone uses (nasa/scca/grand-am), and the IT stuff to setup and keep the site running with the database of all the times and races and such.

$300 doesn't seem to bad when it has to cover ALL of the expenses listed above.

Tracks pay for their AMB-compliant loops and sanctioning bodies pay for their AMB-branded decoders. Not to mention the AMB-created computer program that makes it all happen. Also redundant parallel laptops, printers, cables, trackside internet access, etc. If you think transponders themselves are expensive you should price all that stuff sometime...

Yep. Tracks pay for the digging & loops. Organizations pay $8000 for the decoders. Organizations pay $3000 for the software.

Somebody is getting rich, but I'm not sure who.