What year to purchase?

fsutton

Hello ,

I'm a little confused about the difference between SM and SSM. The SSM rules pdf states that cars have to be 1990-1993. And it appears that SSM is all stock, hence the name. The SM rules pdf on the other hand states 1990 through 2005 (except 1998). I was hoping to be able to purchase something late 90's, early 2000's and still be able to compete basically stock with a level playing field. Am I confined to 90-93 SSM to compete on a level playing field?

Thanks for any guidance.

SM has a bit more room to monkey than SSM does, but they're both still Spec style classes with all the upsides and downsides inherent.

SSM isn't a bone stock car, still has quite a few mild modifications.

If you wanted to run a truly stock or near-stock car the Performance Touring series could be a little bit better fit as you could pick a couple mods and be maxed out in the car's base class (this is what I've done with my retired SSB MR2) but you'd be racing a variety of other cars with different strenghts & weaknesses.

Mike also linked you to some absolutely top-flight SMs. Lots of optimization of the stuff you're allowed to change, lots of optimization of the stock stuff by buying up a bunch of parts and keeping the best ones, etc, etc.

It sounds like you're more looking for a car to start out with and run mid-pack or so rather than buy something that is 110% no-excuses?

Here's an SSM that's local to me - this is the Texas Region Race Director's car:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18071

Solid car, ran well enough to be on the podium in SSM at NASA Nationals, still pretty affordable

• 2 weeks later...

I ran SSM my last race and my next race I'm running SM. In SSM you can only run a 90-93 because obviously they're all 1.6's (from the factory) and therefore there's no jacking with restrictor plates or weight differences. There's no parity to complain about at all.

So, the only differences are:

SSM you MUST run: Mazdaspeed exhaust with cat delete/ OEM (NGK) plugs & wires/ bone stock intake (you can use a K&N filter if you want)/ Camber 3.0 front 2.5 rear/ the car must dyno at 114.5 hp and 103 tq and be inspected and sealed at an authorized sealing station. In SM all the above fields are open virtually.

SM you can run: LS1 engine/ any computer engine management system you want as long as it kindof looks close to the factory ecu.... actually scratch that.... ecus are apparently open haha/ and a bunch of other stuff

Plenty of competitive SM and SSM cars for around $10k. If you are having a problem finding one let me know, I can direct you to a few.