NEW TO HONDA CHALLENGE TIRE QUESTION

FASTSR240

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Honda Challenge this year and I have some questions I hope you can help me with. I ran some Nasa events and SCCA events in 2003 in a Nissan 240SX but now I have an 89 CRX Si.

What is the hot tire and wheel Set up for these cars? It currently has 185/60/14's on it but I would like to go to 15" if possible. I am thinking 205/50/15 but I am not sure if that is legal for that car in H4?

I am running in the midwest region at tracks like Mid-Ohio and Putnam park. If anyone would be gracious enough to offer me ideas on spring rates and sway bar set ups I would greatly apreciate it? A starting point would be great.

Any other trick ideas anyone would be nice enough to offer would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to Honda Chanllenge ..

In H4 you can run just about any rim, as long as it is no wider than 7". So you will be about to run 205/50/15's if you want to.

In AZ, there are 4 of us that run CRX's. We all run 14 x 7 rims. Mike who has the H1 CRX runs 225/50/14's, so it can be done, but when I ran 225 I was rubbing pretty bad in the rear. My suspension is surely softer than his though. I think all 3 of us in H4 run 205/55/14. Going with 14's gives you a lighter setup and also costs about $80 less for a set of tires. The only drawback that I could see would be sidewall flex, but I haven't really noticed much if any with the 205's. Hope that helps.

- Scott

I actually have a set of 205/55/14's now that I will try. I also have a set of 15" wheels that I will put a 205/50/15 on and I can try and get a feel for which one works better.

Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...

hey guys, I'm building my '89 CRX for HC and just doing some HPDE's while building. About your tire/wheel selections.... Can you fit the 205/55's on the stock alum wheels? Or are you three running ultra-light, aftermarket, 7-inchers? thx!

Can anyone give me any advice about clutch/flywheel selection? It appears that prior to '90, Honda had a 200mm flywheel and a 212mm from '90 on. Rules state that it must be stock diameter. The only aftermarket I can find is Unorthodox Racings unit for $450!!! What's everyone with an '89 and earlier doing?

i have an 89 crx si

and i changed over to the(90-91) larger clutch and flywheel, and it cleared my stock case just fine.

the company is called ACT

http://www.advancedclutch.com

i believe that since in 90 and 91 the larger clutch was stock in the same car you are allowed to change the 88 and 89 size...................................maybe somone else can comment on legality of this conversion......

Can anyone answer this? I'm building for SE Region HC and the rules as I read them state that "any flywheel can be used as long as it is the same diameter as stock."

In 89 the stock was 200mm, in 90 they went to 212mm. It's very tough to find an alum flywheel in 200mm. Most companies are selling an upgrade kit for the clutch that allows the 90 pieces to fit the 89 tranny. Can I legally upgrade?

Can anyone answer this? I'm building for SE Region HC and the rules as I read them state that "any flywheel can be used as long as it is the same diameter as stock."

In 89 the stock was 200mm, in 90 they went to 212mm. It's very tough to find an alum flywheel in 200mm. Most companies are selling an upgrade kit for the clutch that allows the 90 pieces to fit the 89 tranny. Can I legally upgrade?

yes you can but then your car should meet all of the 90 specs, (because of he body swap rule) id contact your regional director to make sure though

As Jimmy said, you should contact your Regional Director. For SEHC, that would be 'The Chad'. If you don't know his email address, I can send it to you. If he feels uncomfortable answering the question, or ruling on it, he will contact the Rules Committee.

PS What movie was the 'The Chad' from?