7 GTS1 Cars for Mid Ohio!

John Graber

Actually, it's now up to 8 GTS1 cars and 11 GTS2s. We have a total of 25 GTS cars (so far) which puts us JUST A TEENCH behind the Spec Miatas who have 26. This is going to be a great season-opener for Great Lakes GTS...why not get your rear in gear and come join us?

There's still time to sign up: http://racenasa.nasamidwest.com/season/event_info.asp?eventid=16994

Would be nice if we could all run together, or at least if GTS2 and GTS1 could stay together. I have a feeling that GTS1 is going to be left alone with all of the SM's though.

Ed

Would be nice if we could all run together, or at least if GTS2 and GTS1 could stay together. I have a feeling that GTS1 is going to be left alone with all of the SM's though.

Ed

OK...you brought it up. Quick question here: If we moved ALL the GTS cars to the fast group, the groups would be very balanced. The only concern (not that I get to make the decision, but still...) is that last year the GTS1 cars were NOT happy about running in the fast group and having to look over their shoulders all the time for Corvettes coming like cruise missles.

IF this were an option (all of GTS in the fast group), how do the GTS1 guys feel about it?

I would prefer to leave GTS1 & 2 together as is. Similar cars, similar times, and better from a spectator point of view with 20 GTS cars within 5 seconds of each other. The groups are not balanced, but 53 cars is manageable so just leave it the way it is.

I think that what Scott is saying, though, is that last year there was complaits from the GTS1 guys that if we were all in Thunder together instead of being broken up into the two classes, that there would be some really fast guys going by at 10 seconds a lap or faster differential.

Compare that to not having as much fun because there are 5 out of class guys between you and your closest competitor and, although you are 1.2 seconds a lap faster than the out of class guy in front of you you can not get it done in the straight and are not willing to trade paint to make it happen in a corner.

I do not mind being with the fast guys. I know they are looking out for the slow guys and making sure that the pass is clean (I was and still am sort of one of those guys). Getting passed at a 40mph differential on a straight does not bother me.

My vote is put all of GTS together.

Ed Baus

GTS1

My $.02:

Let me start by saying that I have run in GTS1 at just about every MO event for the past five years, and even though my times creep down, I stay just about mid-pack. I have raced in GTS only fields and enjoyed that a lot, even though the faster cars were blowing by me. It felt like a real group. (That was especially true in the Nationals!)

Last year I raced with the Thunder group on Saturday in August and did not enjoy it. I felt as if the GTS1 guys were substantially slower than most of the others on the track, many of whom were WAY faster. I'm sure it's a product of my level of racing skill (low), but I felt like I spent a lot more time looking in my mirrors than in trying to get by the guy in front of me. At times, it just didn't feel as safe. Also, because I didn't know the classes and competitors as well, I didn't have a feel for who was racing against whom (I knew this in the GTS only races). I talked with the other GTS1 guys (only three of us, I think), and we all seemed to feel the same way, i.e. uncomfortable. We agreed to ask Scott G. to see if we could move to the Lightening race group for Sunday, and it was done.

In the Lightening group we were reasonably matched with the other cars on track. I think the SM group started on the front straight, so we really didn't see many of them in a short race. All in all, I felt MUCH better about the experience.

Basically, if I have to choose, I will have much more fun actually racing with other cars (in class or not) than in being one of the slowest on track.

My first preference is a GTS only group, but I know that is not likely to happen until NASA can get back to three race groups (likely not very soon). My second preference is to run in Lightening, and if GTS2 joins us that's even better. As indicated above, I do not like to run in Thunder.

I don't mind the faster cars at all, but my preference would be laptimes maybe 8-10 seconds apart. That would make for easy passing and little impact on out of class competiton, actually better than GTS1 and SM fighting for space. If GTS1 were to run with the big bore group there would be a 24 seconds between the fastest (1:29) and slowest cars (1.53). That would mean lapping the slowest cars 4-5 times. Of course, it might give me an advantage as I know all 11 of those Super Touring guys:)

Whatever, I just want to get out there!

If I were to vote....I'd include GTS2 in Thunder and GTS1 in Lightning. Or, just put the GTS1 cars in Thunder too....most likely no miatas would be able to hit them then.

Damon in STL

I know I am not racing this weekend but I am with Gentleman Jim. GTS only race group is 1st choice, 2nd is to run GTS 1 in the slower run group and if GTS 2 joins us great, if not oh well. I raced with Jim last year in the Thunder group and just because they are faster cars then us does not mean they are better drivers than us. It was just a scary race! I did not have fun and the only time I felt comfortable the whole race was for the 1st 2 laps when we had no one around us. like Jim said racing with fast GTS racers that have cars that react the same as yours in the turns is one thing, also the fact that we have all raced together and hang out together for the past 5 years helps us (the slow guys) and them (the fast guys) to know how we all race on the track. They understand the tendencies of our cars and we understand theirs. Racing with the Iron guys is completely different*. Apex? Yeah they see it, but they can't get to it to save their life and for that matter to save the GTS 1 drivers life they are passing.

Have fun this weekend, be safe and go BMW!!!!!!!!!

I'll try and get up there Sunday.

*No disrespect for the Iron guys we just have different types of cars.

Racing with the Iron guys is completely different*. Apex? Yeah they see it, but they can't get to it to save their life and for that matter to save the GTS 1 drivers life they are passing.

*No disrespect for the Iron guys we just have different types of cars.

This is exactly why I like running with the AI guys in my GTS2 car. I have 166 HP and it is such a good feeling to be able to out brake the big V8 cars going into a corner and then carry more speed through the corner to make the pass. Drafting also comes into play (again, a lot of fun) when catching a AI car in the corner and getting a tow down a long straight which then sets you up for the pass at the next corner.

When GTS2 is included in Lightning....the Miatas are in the way and don't seem to care about hitting you. GTS is 13/13 and sm is not.

Damon in STL

But what about those Honda missiles?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alright. who let the Pakexpress guys in here?

Well, I really don't rate an opinion on this matter. I just dropped by to wish everyone a great and safe time this weekend. Maybe if the stars line up correctly we may see you on Saturday or Sunday. Do I miss getting ready for the season opener....YOU BETCHA!. Have I given up on racing, not at all. Car will be coming out of storage very soon and work will begin to make an old dog do new tricks (goes for me too!).

OK, I guess I can never miss an oportunity to give my opinion. In the several years I participated and the many times I ran with the quicker cars, I never once got hit by one and never once got put in an unsafe position by one. Compare that to the many times that we were placed in the small bore group, which, even with all the Miatas, is a catch all scenario, with mostly a lot of differing driver capabilties, most light on experience and I can remember many near misses and botched race strategies because of this. My preference was always to run with quicker cars... most of the passing will be done on the straights, with an occasional late pass at #1, #2 and the end of the back straight. Watch and leave them the room they need = no problem. One of my most enjoyable races was 08 with ST to get Chammpionship credit, I had a blast and ran in front of many a faster car. That said, you have to honor the requests of the majority of GTS1, and Jim delivers his honest opinion.

Be safe guys, maybe we'll see you!

Carl

Carl,

That's only because we all stayed so far away from you. Word had it that you were blind in one eye and the left side of your body is totally numb after 15 minutes in the car.

Kidding buddy, good to see you back around!

Chris,

You may have read through too quickly, I said "quicker cars" !

Yeah, thanks for the come back!

Carl

I know this is about the Mid Ohio race.....but, I'm still lobbying to have GTS2 in Thunder in the Midwest.

Here's some vid of one of the most fun races I've ever had. This was my first time at Autobahn and with GTS2 in the Thunder group. It is also a good example of the speed differences and parity of some of the CMC vs. GTS cars. What made this race so much fun was trying to determine where the CMC cars were good and where you could take advantage of their weaknesses. I developed a lot of critical racecraft thinking during this race.....and that is what made it so much fun!

Damon in STL

For the record, at Mid-Ohio this past weekend, GTS2 ran in the Thunder group. Out of 43 Thunder cars, GTS2 cars qualified in positions 5, 6, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19 and 24.

Not bad for 200 hp!

For the record, at Mid-Ohio this past weekend, GTS2 ran in the Thunder group. Out of 43 Thunder cars, GTS2 cars qualified in positions 5, 6, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19 and 24.

Not bad for 200 hp!

Wow! Great turnout. I wish we could start getting those types of numbers in the Midwest!

Damon in STL