sigh...so close

V/T Andy

Hey everyone, i have a question. I have sorted out some of the very minor things i had wiht my car and i went to go start it and what...no pedal pressure. at all. after using clarks-garage, it appears this is a typical symptom for a broken slave cylinder. I went ahead and ordered a new factory master and slave. I installed hte new slave, but now i am having trouble bleeding it. I have a mityvac (hand vacuum pump) and i am unable to bleed anything out. I originally tried using an oil gun and do the reverse bleeding process. when i tried using the vacuum pump, i only got out what i had put in (fresh fluid). the reservoir is full and does not move at all when the clutch goes in and out. Do you guys have any clue what might be causing this? thank you.

Andy

Also, when i have the mityvac on the bleed nipple, it is unable to retain a negative pressure. I know its not on the tool side because when i put my finger on the end of the hose, it holds pressure just fine. when i put it on the bleeder, it bleeds out pressure slowly (but i have no idea to where). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not a great mechanic by any means, but usually I can figure out what's going on and how to get what I want. This time, I'm just baffled.

Andy

Andy, long time buddy.

I hate to make this connection, but I also had a issue with my clutch pedal pressure. I bleed the system and the symptoms actually got worse during a test drive. I replaced the master and slave clutch cylinders and had a slightly better pedal, so I got in for another test lap. It turns out I had spun the center out of my rubber-centered clutch, and the metal ring on the clutch disc housing that allows you to drive the car when that happens sheered off. I had to replace the clutch

hey chris, i still owe you big time for the help last time!

man, that just is not really good news huh. well, the crazy thing is, after working on the car, i pulled it into the parking spot by driving forward about 5 feet. then i didnt drive it because of hte terrible weather for about a month. when i got in the car, it was like this. instant symptoms. a shop suggested it may be from a snapped fork or someting, but i have no idea. either way, do you think i should just take it to a shop and let them finish the car off?

You could take the slave off, but leave it attached to hydraulics, then push it in by hand and see if moving the clutch pedal move the slave. Just don't let the slave push the piston all the way out. If that works, then your hydraulics are oK. If it does not, than it's the clutch.

If the rubber hub is broken you can see through the hole in the bell housing you may see rubber chunks. also try disconnecting the coupler on the torque tube shaft and try turning the shaft back and forth. If the clutch hub is busted you will be able to spin it back and forth.

Thanks for your replies, guys. Work is getting busy now, so I am having the car serviced by a local technician here in Huntington Beach right around the corner from me. According to him, he works on 944's a lot. Have any of you heard of a mechanic named Gary Topaz? If not, it's cool. Thanks again to everyone for helping out.

Andy