New car build

Tim N

Hellow everyone. I am building a new car and will probably be coming up with a lot of stupid questions. BMW's are new to me and I know nothing about them. The car started life as a 93 318 sedan. It is currently stripped and caged and I picked up M52B25 to put in it initially. I will probably upgrade to a S motor later. I have a complete TMS Group B suspension ready to go in. I am hoping to have it painted and ready to start assembly in a couple weeks.

First question. The motor I have is OBD II. Do I need to swap to OBD I? Advantages or disadvantages? How involved is the swap?

Thanks for your time.

Tim N

• Members
Hellow everyone. I am building a new car and will probably be coming up with a lot of stupid questions. BMW's are new to me and I know nothing about them. The car started life as a 93 318 sedan. It is currently stripped and caged and I picked up M52B25 to put in it initially. I will probably upgrade to a S motor later. I have a complete TMS Group B suspension ready to go in. I am hoping to have it painted and ready to start assembly in a couple weeks.

First question. The motor I have is OBD II. Do I need to swap to OBD I? Advantages or disadvantages? How involved is the swap?

Thanks for your time.

Tim N

You should be able to run it in OBD1 config. with proper software. Keep it OBD1. It will be much easier to get software for and you wont have all the extra sensors to deal with.

Welcome! Where are you located? Make sure you visit bimmerforums.com. The track section is second to none when it comes to advice on building a BMW racecar.

Thanks for your time.

Tim N

still have the m42/44?

needs some m3 cams?