Gearoil change question

sagoston

This is the second time I've changed the gearoil in my transaxle and probably have 20-30 hours of use since the last change. Last time I installed a new magnetic drain plug. This is what the drainplug looked like on this change:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cNMm_NaMRuEldAO4_vlc3Q?feat=directlink

Would you expect this, especially if this transaxle has about 6-7 years of use and this was the first time the magnetic plug was in?

That is probably fine. Stock the boxes have 1 or 2 magnets in them. However you can't get to them unless you open the box. So who knows how long crap has been floating around. These gearboxes seem pretty tough from the stand point of not needing to do much to them. Ring & Pinion can fail of course, but that is really an odd failure. It sort of happens or it does not. I have never been able to find a direct link between poor maintenance and r&p failures. Maybe they come from bad bearings, maybe from trying do alot drag strip starts when it was street car. I just don't know.

The only area to be concerned about lots of brass can mean syncro wear. Again that does not seem to be common failiure point in these cars. The most common gearbox issue I have seen over the years is Ring & Pinion.

My take on it is just to drive it and it ring and pinion blows.. it blows. If the box is not LSD they are really cheap and you can swap the short 5th around as it is very rare for a R&P failure to take out 5th too. In fact even with an LSD it is like that it will survive too.

Yes, there's 2 magnets- 1 in the nose cone and 1 in the main body. The failures I've seen have been almost entirely with the ring and pinion. I've had one 3rd gear pair and one 4th gear pair failure. All the rest ~12 gearboxes, have been pinion shaft gear failures, which I believe is caused by the bearings in the tranny wearing out and allowing the ring and pinion to walk away from each other thus leaving less and less surface to spread the workload. At CRE, we freshen the side carrier bearings as a minimum and reset the gearlash.