Race Weekend Format (Sunday)

b f cybronetics

At both California Speedway and Buttonwillow we had a qualifying race on Sunday instead of a qualifying session. The grid was set in a reverse order from the Saturday race results. In both cases I found that session very exciting, educational and just plain fun. From the comments after the race it would appear others also enjoyed that format. That being said I do not want to speak for others. Note, I found it educational from the aspect of starting towards the front and having to deal with traffic and close racing with faster cars behind me. It is my view that this type of practice will be very helpful at nationals.

I have also noticed that running with the Miata's has resulted in far less interclass racing. I do not know if that is true for the front of the pack. This last week only the first 2 Miata's passed me and that was at the left hander just prior to Phil Hill on the last lap of the race. ( This was before the added power of the muffler removal). In the Sunday race the first Miata reached me just prior to my last lap and that was including my slower laps due to overheating. In the last two events we had 30 and 33 cars in the Miata/944 race group. This year the 944 had 7-10 cars. In both events the Miata's also went with a Sunday qualifying race.

If the others agree, my suggestion is two fold, first Tim would you contact the Miata class director and see if they would make the change to a Sunday qualifying race permanent. If they agree then Tim you and their class director could contact Ryan and see if we could run together for the rest of the season in this format. It would appear that the two classes could assemble 30 cars each race weekend and make a race group which is acceptable to Ryan.

I agree Tom, I think the reverse grid format works and provides an opportunity for a great experience for all the drivers. For the faster cars/drivers it makes us learn patience. It also allows us to see what other drivers are doing and provide information if wanted.

The SM/944 format seems to work well. By the time I get to the back of the SM group they have spread out and we can easily pass on the straights so we do not get into the middle of anyones race.

I will check the SM board to see if there has been any comments about our grouping.

I am all for keeping this grouping.

No concerns here, just another vote for keeping this format. It seems to be working well in educating the entire field and consequently making our group that much tighter.

I would like to see us use our practice times to set the grid for a qualifying race on Saturday as well as doing an inverted grid qualifying race for Sunday based on Sat. race results.

Qualifying races are much more interesting than typical qualifying sessions. One argument against a Saturday Q race is that one practice is not enough to get the car right. Excuse me but who (other than me) makes significant changes between practice and qualifying anyway. I think having another "race" for everyone will make a much more fun event and will help set the grid as well as a qualifying session anyway, even if someone does make changes between practice and the Q race on Saturday. For our less experienced drivers, it will give them even more experience and allow them to get faster quicker, in my opinion.

If the SM group does not want to run a Q race on Saturday, they can fall in behind us for our warm up lap and can do their thing after we get our green flag at the front of the bunch of them. Heck, we can even set our own grid and we could go out first, in order, without a pace car. All we would need is a green flag and there is a flagman anyway.

More racing equals more fun

Big Dog

I think the new format is good because:

it keeps the class packed up tighter for a longer period of time. More fun, which equals better marketing for the class. People ARE watching.

It adds another "race" to the weekend.

I feel it teaches the slower guys more and sooner. What does it teach? Traffic reading, traffic management, racing tactics.

Jim,

I don't think we should be racing during qualifying unless EVERYONE on the track is in full race mode ( i.e., the Miatas). Sometimes I come down to a crawl in order to open up a window to get in one fast lap with no traffic slowing me down. Let's give the guys Saturday to get the car right.

Tim, why? People don't work on setups during qualifying normally.

Ask the SM guys about doing a Q race on Sat as well as Sunday. They might like it too. It is worth a discussion. I will be happy to contact them if you would like.

Jim

Jim, here's my only concern with your idea. We're effectively combining Saturday practice and qualifying into one session. I personally treat the two sessions very differently in a normal weekend, especially on a Saturday without a Friday test day. I still need to get better at getting the most out of my qualifying sessions so removing our only pure qualifying session will certainly not help.

Tim, why? People don't work on setups during qualifying normally.

Ask the SM guys about doing a Q race on Sat as well as Sunday. They might like it too. It is worth a discussion. I will be happy to contact them if you would like.

Jim

I do quite often.

Look if you don't happen to run Friday. Then Saturday morning is a warm up in all senses. You need to re learn the track or maybe bed in brakes or heat cycle tires. There is a big reason not to have pratice run as a qualfying looking for "Fast laps". Now depending on the state of the car from warm up session 2 of the weekend could be "fast lap qualy" session or may be run as a second test. Running it as a second test puts your qual time at risk, but you take that into account. I some times run 1-2 qualifing laps then run "test" laps for the remainder of the session.

Seems much easier to have two non-race session on saturday. Then race. By sunday mid day you would have had 4 sessions on the track already so racing in the qual session is not so bad.

I do agree with Tim that everone in the group races or nobody races. Mixing guys who are racing and those who are not is that smart.

I am in favor of the inverted start sunday qualifying race. I see the pro and con of doing same on Saturday - con being not warmed up (whether car or driver), vs. the pro being one more "race". How about experimenting by trying it once if the Miata series director is amenable?

john n.

I would prefer to continue the Saturday schedule as is. I use the warm up and qualifying session to get my car set up test and get my race line in order and practice to try and get consistent. I also use those two sessions to get into the right mental state.

*From Tim,

"Jim,

I don't think we should be racing during qualifying unless EVERYONE on the track is in full race mode ( i.e., the Miatas). "

* From Joe,

"I do agree with Tim that everone in the group races or nobody races. Mixing guys who are racing and those who are not is that smart."

Here's 2 of the most experienced guys in the class saying it's not good to have the Miatas qualifying while we are having a qualifying race. It's a different mental state.

So far, it sounds like the consensus is to leave Saturday as is? Give the guys time to adjust their 944's and their mental state? Sounds good to me, too.

My vote is to have a qualifying race on Sunday. The reverse starts are great teaching tools for everyone not to mention mucho fun.