Is it ok to put header wrap over catalytic converters?

Cobra4B

Once upon a time I heard that if you ceramic coat or header wrap over a cat (not the furry kind) it can overheat and burn up and posibly break apart... possibly becoming clogged. Any truth to this? I was considering wrapping my entire H-pipe on my Z06 TTA setup but wanted to see if I shold leave the cats bare and just wrap the rest.

Thanks,

Brian

Just a side note, which you may already know.... wrapping or coating your exhaust makes it modified and "non-OEM" so subject to points. I think you'd rather lose the cat before you decided to wrap it as either way you'd take +1.

You serious? I can't put header wrap on my exhaust w/o taking points? These cars like to heat up the transmissions on track b/c they don't get a lot of airflow to the rear area w/o wrapping the exhuast as it passes under the trans.

If I was competing against you and really wanted to be a hardass, I could see making a good enough case in a protest type situation. How it would end up.. who knows. If it was me in your situation I'd make sure my butt was covered Might have to go another route for heat management if it doesn't end up how you want. There is most likely a legal way to do it... just gotta figure it out

The rule simply says

Non-OEM or modified exhaust piping, resonators, or mufflers downstream from the header, exhaust manifold, or turbo. (does not include catalytic converter removal/upgrade) +2

IMO adding header wrap to the exhaust to keep the trans cooler and keep the interior cooler is not a modification to the piping.... By wrapping the exhuast have I actually "modified" the pipe at all? IMO no.... now if I deleted the cats, or replaced the H-crossover with an X then that's modifying the pipe.

The rules allow oil coolers and trans cooler etc. for zero points.... header wrapping the h-pipe on a C5 and running good synthetic trans fluid is basically a poor-man's trans cooler.

keeping the heat in the pipe can improve power in some cases which has the same effect as modifying it. May not be worth the full points value, but...

Like I said - I can see it going either way, but if it were me, I'd get a clarification to make sure I didn't need to go in another direction especially since you're in the build stages where its easy to make that change in direction. I don't make those calls, neither does Mark, neither do you.

I PMed John and posted up in the TT section.

Regardless... assuming I can wrap it as planned is it ok to wrap the cat? FWIW I can't see wrapping a 4' secion of mid-pipe helping power production.... this isn't a STS turbo car.

I'm starting to feel like I should just build my car and ask questions later.... easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission

I can put DEI heat shielding on the bottom of the tunnel plate, but that dosn't extend back to the trans area... it'll help a little bit w/ the interior heat but will do nothing for the trans/rear.

who at these events even has time to inspect under other people's cars

you obviously haven't been to Nationals

I'm starting to feel like I should just build my car and ask questions later.... easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission

bah, I gotta admire a competitor going out of their way to make sure their car is 100% no-gray-area legal. It is a bit of a headache on the front end, but, as someone who has personally gone through the recieving end of a protest (for on-track behaviour, but same process) I can garuntee you that doing the up-front stuff is far far easier, less stressful, and less painful.

who at these events even has time to inspect under other people's cars

you obviously haven't been to Nationals

well that's different

at regional events I don't even have time to get under my own car, let alone somebody I'm running against

You serious? I can't put header wrap on my exhaust w/o taking points? These cars like to heat up the transmissions on track b/c they don't get a lot of airflow to the rear area w/o wrapping the exhuast as it passes under the trans.

Yes, 100% serious. Wrapping the exhaust in heat shielding wrap is modifying it. Not trying to be a jerk, just pointing it out as I didn't think you realized it. I spoke to Greg before about having an intake manifold coated (NOTHING ELSE, JUST COATING OUTSIDE) and he said it's then modified, take the points. If a part is not as is on a base model car, it's modified. A modification does NOT have to be performance enhancing in order to take points. A modification is a modification whether it helps or even hinders. You could probably added a trans cooler for no point hit, something to consider.

Trans cooler kit = $600-$700

Header wrap = $30

even TT ain't cheap

I haven't had any trans temp problems with 3 laps and in. unless you want to run 30 min marathon sessions, you'll be fine

If I'm going to pay to be there I'm going to run my full time.... the chance of winning tires is a side benefit. I just got a call from my buddy who was getting me his '03 H-pipe... says the shop can't find it now... great. If this header wrap is a +2 point thing and the '03 h-pipe I was getting is lost then I'm going to just run TTS. Then I can take one of the spare h-pipes in my shed and cut the cats out and replace them with an up-front X-pipe and wrap it all, then run a regular CAI and then get the car as light as possible to be 8.3:1.

EDIT - I could actually run TTA still because I have R6s on the car now which frees up 3 points.... +2 for the h-pipe mods and +1 for the Halltech.

you're thinking about it too much, just build it and run it

Don't listen to this guy.

I once had my car at his house for some work and next thing I knew he posted pictures on all the forums of my turbo.

started on yours yesterday. that's a mighty big (and well polished) catch can you got, it must catch a lot of oil, because it has it's own radiator/storage tank to

sperkins.jpg