You think there's no AERO in our cars?

PeanutinCA

I got a day off from the wife yesterday, so I took a test day to Fontana with Jim Marks. BTW, Jim is going to kick some a$$ pretty quick. It was a multiple test day. Had to check that the X3 was capable of towing the race car and to my surprise, using a tow dolly (I know, not the best), if kicked butt! I had it loaded up with all my usual stuff and the car on a U-Haul dolly and it kicked along at 70. It even cranked at 65 up the brief hill heading out the 10 fwy.

I also had to test the car, new rod bearings, new ignition switch, new hoses (2 were about to blow) and a new corner balance/alignment. Well, I guess in corner balancing, it left the front an 1" and 1/4 higher than the back. I didn't realize what it was at first, but I would enter NASCAR 1 and 2 nearing 120 and the car would start tram tracking or floating as I later realized. Then through 1-2 it would move about making for a hairy ride. Everywhere else on the track, fine. But before turning in and during 1-2 it was floating. We all beleived due to the front being higher than the back.

Something to think next time YOU setup!

P.Dilly.

• 2 weeks later...

Corner-balancing should NOT leave the car tilting to one side or the front/rear higher than before!!! Its purpose is to balance the cross-sums of the car, so that each diagonal has the same weight. This is so you don't a teeter-totter effect between a diagonal that has more weight than the others.

Check out these two corner-weights on two different cars:

_L___/___R_

_800___600

_600___800

versus

_L___/___R_

_700___700

_700___700

Both cars have exactly the same 50/50 front & rear weight-distribution as well as left/right. They both will also have exactly the same ride heights as well. However, teh 2nd car will corner 1000% better than the 1st one, which will understeer in right-hand corners and oversteer on left-hand turns.

The only way to have the front end up higher than before is they jacked up both struts. This will NOT make any changes to corner-balance or weight-distribution. Whoever did this job fvcked up!!! To do proper-corner balancing, you adjust a SINGLE corner ONLY! This will not change overall ride height in anyway, unless you want to change that, in which case you would adjust it evenly all around. Get your money back and get a new alignment shop!

BTW, these cars really do feel changes in aerodynamics. With the belly-pans off on my 951 (too lazy to put them back on after oil-change), I can definitely feel more understeer. The result is I can only take turn-2 at Willow at only 90mph instead of 105mph... Jack Olsen put a single big piece of plexiglass on the bottom of his 911RSR replica. He ended up with 2-second/lap faster times! That's an entire football field ahead per lap compared to before... from a piece of plexiglass!!!