Classification question - Rules 6.7 Special Circumstances

patinum

I have a S2000 C/R (TTC**). Rules section 6.7 paragraph 1 states:

In the event that a specialty or upgraded version of a vehicle, that is individually listed in 6.3.2

Base Classifications, has had so many of it’s “specialty” parts replaced or modified that a points

assessment results in a situation where a hypothetical lower base classed “standard” model can

be upgraded to be identical to it, but end up in a lower competition class, the specialty or

upgraded version vehicle may be granted a waiver to “jump down” to the standard model’s base

class.

I would like to "jump down" to the standard model even though I don't have "so many of [my] specialty parts replaced or modified". I did the math and it looks like the CR upgrades total up to 16 points compared to a base model S2000 of my year. With my current setup, the only points modification I have on my car is sway bars (+2). However, if I classify myself as a base model S2000 AP2, with CR mods except for sway bars and revert to a stock AP2 exhaust, then i have 2 points to still play with. Do I actually have to be heavily modified?

Basically this is the situation:

My Car - S2000 CR TTC**

** = +14

Front sway bar = +2

225 Hoosier R6 = +3

Total = +19

My car classified as a base S2000 TTC (no *)

CR Front lip = +3

CR Wing = +4

CR Springs = +2

CR Shocks = +3

Front sway bar = +2

225 Hoosier R6 = +3

(revert to base model exhaust = 0 points)

Total = +17

CR upgrades over base model that are 0 points

- No A/C

- No radio

- no softtop

- hardtop

- no spare tire

- different seats

- different door panels

- different shift knob

- various interior trim (steering wheel, center console, floor mats, etc.)

- sound deadening removed

- different wheels

The extra benefit to me here is also if I decide to upgrade springs, shocks, and aero then they are 0 points instead of 12.

Thanks!

• National Staff

The answer is no.

The front "Lip" will actually take +3 points for fascia, +3 points for splitter, and +2 points for canards.

The rear trunk brace will take +3 points for "other chassis stiffening devices".

The car has a faster steering rack.

The base weight is a listed as a little lighter for your model.

The answer is no.

The front "Lip" will actually take +3 points for fascia, +3 points for splitter, and +2 points for canards.

The rear trunk brace will take +3 points for "other chassis stiffening devices".

The car has a faster steering rack.

The base weight is a listed as a little lighter for your model.

Ah. Forgot about trunk brace and the steering rack. The front fascia is the same. Not really sure the difference is when it comes to splitters, canards, and lips. It's one piece - but I guess it's a moot point anyway.

Thanks - looks like I'm just going to have to loose some weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Okay, I'm revisiting this as I'm near minimum weight (if I have an empty tank) and think that the car can be built better.

My Car - S2000 CR TTC**[

** = +14

Front sway bar = +2

225 Hoosier R6 = +3

Total = +19

My car classified as a base S2000 TTC (no *)

CR Front lip = +5 (+3 as a splitter, +2 as canards. The fascia is the exact same as all 2004+ S2000's)

CR Wing = +4

CR Springs = +2

CR Shocks = +3 (the stock S2000 rear shocks have external reservoirs for the base and CR. The CR shock, as far as I know, is just a "modified/re-valved shocks/struts/dampers").

Front sway bar = +2

225 Hoosier R6 = +3

(remove chassis brace = 0 points)

(revert to base model exhaust = 0 points)

Total = +19

So this setup looks like I'm just throwing away a chassis brace to be at the same points, but I'd gladly do it if I can find a better wing and get some AST's with contingency. It also gives me the option of removing the lip and using 5 points toward intake, header, and exhaust. I would probably have to add some more weight to get to the higher minimum, but I want to put my passenger seat back in as I'm thinking about getting my instructors license.

Am I missing anything?

CR upgrades over base model that are 0 points

- steering ratio = 0 points

- No A/C

- No radio

- no softtop

- hardtop

- no spare tire

- different seats

- different door panels

- different shift knob

- various interior trim (steering wheel, center console, floor mats, etc.)

- sound deadening removed

- different wheels

• National Staff

Yes, you are still missing the +3 points for G.1--fascia/air dam modification. As I stated before, this composite piece has air dam, splitter, and canard properties--(+3, +3, +2) total.

Yes, you are still missing the +3 points for G.1--fascia/air dam modification. As I stated before, this composite piece has air dam, splitter, and canard properties--(+3, +3, +2) total.

I'm confused. It's the same fascia as 04+ S2000's (part #1 in the pic below).

Or is #10 the air dam, splitter, and canard? I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand what makes a air dam, splitter, and canard.

14s2a801_b46.png

Air damn is vertical

Splitter is horizontal

Canards are angled (outside of air dam or spoiler or fender etc.)

Spoiler is angled

I see. So is a air dam ever not a splitter? I can understand if a splitter isn't a air dam if it has virtually no height to it, but any front lip seems like it would have some sort of height to it as well as a horizontal component.

actually yes, an air dam can avoid splitter points - it has to be completely 100% vertical with no horizontal or angled "lip" to it.

like this black piece on this Mustang:

airdam.jpg

actually yes, an air dam can avoid splitter points - it has to be completely 100% vertical with no horizontal or angled "lip" to it.

like this black piece on this Mustang:

That makes sense - just don't see it too often.

So I'm guessing the black part of the lip is what is acting like the air damn. The front middle section is what's acting like a splitter. And the angled part is what's working as canards?

5637992956_db8cbbd1cb_z.jpg