crx traction bars... i know...

GSRCRXSi

yes i know they are illegal under the current rules. this isnt about whether or not they are legal.

right now, i have the Full-Race traction bar setup on my CRX. its currently only on HPDE duty, but id like to progress and eventually get into HC H1 (much later). now with my current setup, i dont think i could even go back to a stock crossmember. not from a functional standpoint, but more a space standpoint. i have a B18C engine with an SMSP header. theres absolutely no way this would fit with the stock crossmember. plus the FR bar offers spherical bushings, and i dont think a spherical setup is possible with the stock crossmember, or is there a spherical setup?

i know its a slippery slope and all, but for a CRX/4th gen Civic and DA integras with Radius rods, i dont really see it as a huge deal. you are just improving something thats already there. sure it technicalls moves the , not adding something like you are with EG/DC and up. the EG/DC's def have an advantage with a spherical compensator IMO, since it essentially does the same thing as a traction bar. unfortunately thats not an option for DAs and CRXs.

so how do you guys with H1 CRXs with swaps handle this? surely you arent all running stock headers on them.

Is have to read the rules over again but I'm almost certain you can clearance the stock cross member for the header. The you put sphericals in the radius rods and you are good to go.

Would it be legal to replace the radius rods with a rod with a spherical connection at each end (similar to the fr setup) but still using the stock front crossmember? Since the radius rod is a suspension component not a chassis component. To me that would keep all the same connection locations and keep the crossmember, but give the radius rods more of a connection at each end like fr. Is this legit?

I can't tell you what is legal/illegal (im just a racer), but I don't think it would be.

A racer out here wanted to do something similar asked a RC member and was told that he didn't think it would be legal.

A lot of people seem to have great success with just replacing the rubber bushing with a Spherical and keeping the stock arms.

A lot of people seem to have great success with just replacing the rubber bushing with a Spherical and keeping the stock arms.

I have this on my CRX and it works well.

Rule 10.2.p for H2 says "Engine support cross member may be modified (not replaced) for the sole purpose of engine/header fitment." The H1 rule 9.4.m says "Crossmember may be modified for the sole purpose of engine fitment", but I'm sure a little nudge might get a rules addendum saying header is ok as well.

Oh nice. Thanks. I also see that they have front LCA bushings for the CRX too. Anyone use those? Is the kit for both the shock location and the chassis mount? Part# 18.1000.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this back up. Anyone know if the progress LCA bushings are just the chassis mount? Or does the kit include the chassis and shock mount?

I've transitioned my entire car over to spherical using primarily hardrace parts. But the only bushing not available from hardrace is the front LCA chassis mount (the inboard bushing on the lca that mounts to the subframe). They only thing they have for that is rubber.

I was able to use EG parts for everything else:

Rear LCAs

Rear camber kit

Rear toe links

Front lca shock fork

Pci offset bushing for RTA

Front upper control arm bushings and upper top hat shock mounts are still es poly

Well awesome, the Progress LCA bearings are listed as "discontinued"! The story I always hear is "oh you can't replace the shock mount and the inner mount with sphericals, then the arm will rotate, etc." That would be true if there wasn't a radius rod bolted to it. Anyway, I think anything that says front LCA means the inner mount.

I'm curious about you using the EG parts for everything else. On the Hardrace site, all the links they list as "pillow ball" are sphericals I assume? And all the parts you listed you got for an EG application and they worked on the CRX?

Well awesome, the Progress LCA bearings are listed as "discontinued"! The story I always hear is "oh you can't replace the shock mount and the inner mount with sphericals, then the arm will rotate, etc." That would be true if there wasn't a radius rod bolted to it. Anyway, I think anything that says front LCA means the inner mount.

I'm curious about you using the EG parts for everything else. On the Hardrace site, all the links they list as "pillow ball" are sphericals I assume? And all the parts you listed you got for an EG application and they worked on the CRX?

WHAT!?! it was still available yesterday! that really sucks

yes, pillowball = spherical. they are very beefy units. the joints are very tight and actually take a good amount of force to move, but shouldnt be an issue on the car. i like that most of the hardrace stuff i got has rubber boots sealing the bearing from dirt/water/etc. the only bushings that didnt have boots were the from LCA bushings, and the toe adjusters. i added boots to the toe adjusters though. also the camber and toe adjusters are reverse threaded on one ene so camber toe adjustment should be a breeze.

to be clear, i have not run these yet. im still in the process of an entire suspension/brake/steering/bearing/balljoint overhaul lol. but i dont anticipate much issue. everything fits fine. its just these last 2 bushings that im trying to get. now it seems i have no options but to use the hardrace hard rubber.

the EG parts i used:

rear LCA assembly with sphericals. the entire arm (aluminum alloy)

rear camber kit with sphericals (universal fit for civic/crx, adjustable for camber settings)

rear toe adjusters with sphericals (these seemed a little short to me. i made them a little shorter than the stock arms, bolted them in with them pushed all the way out out on the slotted adjustment bolt, and will adjust toe by adjusting the link itself. should be more precise than the slotted attachment anyway, and easier/faster to adjust, like the tie-rods in the front)

front shock fork location on the LCA (bushing alone, pressed in myself)

PCI RTA bushing was not a problem since all honda civics 88-00 use the same bushing size. and the PCI is bolt in.

pics of my stuff:

DSC02631.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

DSC02667.JPG

DSC02685.JPG

DSC02684.JPG

DSC02686.JPG

dont have pics of the front LCA cause its still missing a bushing lol. really bummed about that bushing kit being discontinued now. ill probably just end up with the hard rubber unless anyone else has a solution. i really dont know why hardrace doesnt offer the bushings, or even the full front LCA assembly with sphericals, for the CRX. they offer that for EG/DG/EK and probably some others. and replacing the whole arm is only a little more expensive than replacing the bushings alone, but WAYYYY easier to replace.

Wow, thanks for all the info! Lookit all the colors... I already have a spherical toe link on the rear, it's a lot more precise when setting toe. As for the tightness of the joints, they'll loosen up once they're on the car for a couple weekends. The rubber boot thing is really sweet though, I didn't know they put those on. Those rear LCAs bring up the issue of "it's legal to replace the bushings but not the whole arm" in the rules...

Yeah, I hadn't checked on the Progress site in a while but that really sucks that they stopped offering it. If it was really available just the other day, maybe try calling and begging for a set (or three!). I'll keep my eyes open for other sources and let you know what I find.

Lol @ the colors. I think it's funny looking, but it should perform well so it's ok. Someone on another forum suggested I seek sponsorship from bill gates for my windows theme.

Yeah the whole Rear LCA won't be legal in H2, but should be legal in H1. Also, I never tried, but you may be able to use the EG rear hardrace spherical bushings in the CRX rear lca's. They looked about the same size as the stock arm. I'm just doing HPDE now though so I can do what I want, I still have full-race traction bars too lol. The amount of other stuff on my car probably wouldn't be legal for H2 either, but I'll have to look over the rules again when I get closer to getting into competing.

The boots on the toe links are seals-it boots I got from eBay. I used the boots on my endlinks and traction bar rod ends too.

Kiwi has been the one supplying me my bushings. He wasn't able to get the bushing for that location.

But he did say that he is trying to have some made for me so I'm waiting for that now. We'll see how it goes.