Should I put my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport on the Track?

coolhand5599

I have never been to one of your races yet. I just got a new 2011 Corvette Grand Sport, would I be stupid to take it on the track? I am thinking of going to the event in FL Sept. 4. I see the event is two days. Can I only do 1 day? Would I need or want to do anything to a stock car before I go on the track?

I would say if you can afford to loose it then yes. In other words, there is always a risk involved and things can happen. So ask yourself the question.

Heck yeah! As long as you don't over do it running stock should be just fine. The only thing I would consider is changing the brake fluid to a DOT 4 higher temp fluid. The first time I had my 09 C6Z at the track everything was stock. As I recall the Grand Sport has the same brakes and a dry sump system if it's a manual. I say go for it.

Heck yeah! As long as you don't over do it running stock should be just fine. The only thing I would consider is changing the brake fluid to a DOT 4 higher temp fluid. The first time I had my 09 C6Z at the track everything was stock. As I recall the Grand Sport has the same brakes and a dry sump system if it's a manual. I say go for it.

How often do accidents happen? If an accident did happen, would insurance cover it?

I'll be at PBIR in Sept and hope to see you there.

Your car would be a lot of fun to drive on the track, so I'd do it. I also suggest replacing the brake fluid with something with a higher boiling point (like ATE Type 200 or Super Blue, Motul 600, etc). When I bought my first sports car in 2000, I took it on the track, and that was the start of a fun and interesting hobby. I've met a lot of great people and have learned to drive better.

I recommend staying well under the limits of the car for your first track day. With one exception, all of the accidents that I have seen on the track are one-car accidents where the driver lost control. It is extremely rare for cars to hit each other, so that puts you in charge of your own safety. Just learn the line, work on driving skills, and have fun. If you do crash, it is unlikely that your insurance will cover the loss. Most policies have specific exclusions for events held on racetracks, but you will need to read your policy in detail to know for sure. I have found that some of the insurance agents (that I have talked with) do not understand their own policies, so read it yourself.

I would if I were you.

Accidents do happen, but 99% of the time, its the drivers own fault IMHO.

Yes, you can get HPDE insurance, and I would if I were you... there is still that 1%...

If you get mixed up in a pack of cars, and are uncomfortable, simply do a pass through on pit lane, and by the time you get to the end, they will be long gone... Especially at Sebring.

I think I can hear your car shouting "Yessss Yessss... lets do it!!!" So yea, I think you should.

How often do accidents happen? If an accident did happen, would insurance cover it?

While accidents are possible they are very, very rare in HPDE-1 which is where you will start. Rare enough that I wouldn't worry about it much if I were you. Your auto insurance might cover it. I know of one instance where the drivers normal insurance did cover a C5Z that was totaled during an HPDE at VIR. However different states have different rules and if you want to be sure have your policy checked by an attorney. If you want to be certain there are track day policies that will cover you specifically for track events. I don't know how expensive they are but I bet they are less expensive than a new Corvette.

Accidents involving 2 cars are rare. Accidents involving one car are totally dependent on the driver. My rule is this. I only drive on track what I can afford to ball up and walk away from. which usually means nothing I owe money on. However you will recieve good instruction, in a controlled environment.

Get track day insurance and drive that thing. Or you could keep in in the garage, barely put any miles on it and sell it to me for 50% of what you paid in two years.

Yes... the car is made for HPDE use. Make sure you have good high temp brake fluid and go with an open mind and learn. Accidents are very very rare in HPDE 1 and 2. You will have your hands full learning the basics of performance driving and learning the track youre at.

You may find that you get addicted to this hobby and want a full on dedicated track car. If you find yourself in that situation then think very seriously about selling the GS and getting a cheap C5 Z06 or even getting something like a Miata or M3 BMW.

Cars like GrandSports and C6 Z06s are hard on consumables (tires/brakes) and theyre very expensive on those cars.

You only live once.

-Brian

You may as well start looking for a dedicated track car.

????????????? Why is that?

He is saying that once you drive in an HPDE setting you will be hooked.

I'm a great example - started about 9 years ago, only able to afford a couple of events per year.

Now that I'm instructing I lose count of how many events I go to.

My 92 is 70% of the way to a dedicated track car and if I had saved my pennies I would have a dedicated car that someone else built.

Jason will be along shortly with his poster . . . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Like others have said, if you can afford to emotionally be willing to lose the car then by all means I think you will have a blast taking it on track!

• 1 month later...
I would say if you can afford to loose it then yes. In other words, there is always a risk involved and things can happen. So ask yourself the question.

This is very misleading. I'll never forget my first HPDE, I saw the race cars, overheard the racers talking, and was thinking Holy crap it's about to get crazy, but I'm gonna tear everyone up, it's time to race!

All of the instructors break it down and quickly make those urges go away and to be honest, you can't have that attitude if you wanted to. You're just not capable of going fast yet and no matter how daring or talented you think you are (I had drag raced, street raced, and auto-x'd before this - lots of confidence) you're just not able to be fast.

You learn car control, which sounds race-ish, but it is more about you being comfortable in a variety of situations...and stay with me on this one...it will make you a safer driver, on and off the track. The better you can control this beast, the safer you will be, and there's no better place to do this than in a controlled environment with a certified instructor.

Try it once, you'll love it, and your car is much safer on a track than on the street (yes, I said it), you should not be hesitant at all. Swap the brake fluid and brake pads (maybe also do rotors so you don't mix pad compound/rotor combo's) and give it a shot. PM me if you need more advice, I don't know why I'm in this part of the forum lol

• 1 month later...

ABSOLUTELY - The Grand Sport is a fine track machine. Get a helmet, change out brake fluid to high temp, put a couple more lbs air in tires and drive that thing. Vettes are made for this type of driving - don't keep yours a garage queen. Enjoy it as it was designed to be used !!!

I say yes in HPDE 1&2. I have had a few track weekends in my stock 2008 Mustang Bullitt with no issues. My first track weekend with NASA-SE is coming up next month at Road Atlanta and I can't wait. My advice to you is to take it easy, listen to your instructor, and relax. Let people pass you, go in the pit if you have a freight train behind you to get some clear track, and if it rains or the track is still wet don't go out. Since you have a really expensive car I would say to get the track day insurance. If you plan to go more than 2 or 3 times a year, or want to advance to the higher levels or competitve events, then I would recommend buying a good used car that you can mod for the track.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a different take on it. I'd say, if you have to ask if you should, you probably shouldn't. If the thought of balling up your car is foremost in the decision making process, you probably have the wrong mindset. If you think HPDE is racing, stay away.

Driving on a track carries all the same risks as driving on the street. It all comes down to you controlling what is in your power to control. You can't control the guy running the red light, but you can decide to be aware of him before you enter the intersection. You can't control the guy that spins his car at the track but you can be aware of his driving style before he does that and use all of that information to put yourself in a safer space.

It doesn't matter if your car is a $500k exotic or a $500 beater. The steering wheel is in your hands. The pedals are under your feet. It's your brain sending the signals to your hands and feet. If that's not enough control for you, you shouldn't even be driving on the street.

Buy a beater or rent a racer. Take it to a NASA event. See what's what.

When you're excited enough about the prospect of driving the crap out of your car on a road course, the decision is already in your heart.