Engine cooling

yakisoba

The last event in Texas at TWS brought home the acuity of the cooling situation for the C5Z corvette, running in TTA. I'm thinking of doing some mods to keep it running cool, and to potentially set up for later competition in PTA. I'm looking for input on points impact, because I'm not interested in moving into the higher dollar realm of TTS/ST2. Here's the breakdown:

I've taken the one point for improved engine air intake. I've a Halltech Venom intake on the car.

I'd like to buy an bigger radiator. That's a no points mod under this provision:

13) Radiator upgrade/shrouding/fascia modification (drilled or cut holes/slots) that only provides

increased airflow to the radiator or oil/transmission coolers (without aerodynamic or engine

air intake improvement)

I'd like to vent the hood. Under provision 13 of the no-points mod list, it looks as if that's OK, so long as you've taken the point for improved engine intake. My oil cooler is in front of the radiator.

I'd like to alter the angle of the radiator, to better pull air through it. I think that would fall under improved radiator, and be a no-points mod.

In order to support the new radiator position, I'd cut out the front license plate frame on the fascia, for the express purpose of flowing air through the radiator. Normally, fascia mods are charged points, but for engine cooling, there is an exception, as far as I understand.

How does that all sound? I was thinking an 18"x24" main HVAC return grille from Home Depot, some bondo, and away we go!

From everything I've seen slanting the radiator forward is more trouble than it's worth. Not hard to do, but then you have to make custom coolant hoses and a custom long air intake tract to get the filter anywhere near outside air.

Personally I've done the following:

1. Delete AC 100%

2. Replace coolant with distilled water and 2 bottles water wetter - stock radiator

3. DRM oil cooler kit with larger Setrab 625 cooler

4. Custom trimmed fan shround

IMO there's no need to do anything more than that. I had a vented DRM hood on my old Z06 and they don't do much. The C5's design w/ the radiator laid back is setup to have air go through then down and out the underside of the car. To really use a vented hood you need to angle the radiator forward and preferably seal the radiator to the hood venting.

I know the Pfadt guys have had it both ways and it was their opinion that the whole "leaning the radiator forward" in a C5 was un-needed and just made for extra work.

From everything I've seen slanting the radiator forward is more trouble than it's worth. Not hard to do, but then you have to make custom coolant hoses and a custom long air intake tract to get the filter anywhere near outside air.

Personally I've done the following:

1. Delete AC 100%

2. Replace coolant with distilled water and 2 bottles water wetter - stock radiator

3. DRM oil cooler kit with larger Setrab 625 cooler

4. Custom trimmed fan shround

IMO there's no need to do anything more than that. I had a vented DRM hood on my old Z06 and they don't do much. The C5's design w/ the radiator laid back is setup to have air go through then down and out the underside of the car. To really use a vented hood you need to angle the radiator forward and preferably seal the radiator to the hood venting.

I know the Pfadt guys have had it both ways and it was their opinion that the whole "leaning the radiator forward" in a C5 was un-needed and just made for extra work.

Thanks for the answer. There is a practicality aspect to it, as the front of the engine is much easier to get at with the radiator mounted that way, but your point is well taken. Perhaps I'll give Aaron a call. Always interested in learning from those that have gone before.

also interested in the "if taking points for the airbox, you can vent the hood".

the "or" in that section makes it confusing

also interested in the "if taking points for the airbox, you can vent the hood".

I was pretty sure that was covered in the thread on "fenders" recently.

Yeah leaning the radiator forward makes for a nice open engine area, but having no AC makes taking the radiator in/out extremely easy.... especially w/ the hood off.

I was pretty sure that was covered in the thread on "fenders" recently.

I think it was clear in the thread that 1 pt covers it. I was fuzzy on that one myself.

dont know if i buy this.. i've had it both ways too.. and it is currently OEM.. bolted on my splitter and undertray and it overheated within 2 laps.

I'd have a hard time believing that adding a CAI kit and heat extractor hood and laying down the radiator would all be a 1 point mod. I can see reading the rule that way. But you are basically adding power (with the CAI) and improving aero with the heat extractor hood and the layed down radiator.

C5 T1 cars have been running fine for years with just a stand alone oil cooler and an aftermarket radiator. Ours run around 210 coolant and 250 oil in 95+ heat.

Last year we ran our ST2 car with the radiator in the stock location, heat extractor hood, DRM radiator with oil cooler and we ran hot (especially at Nationals). This year we have the radiator layed down, have an external oil cooler (and a dry sump) and coolant temps haven't been over 210 and oil hasn't been over 260. I think the true test will be in Sept when we head back to Utah in the thin air. Last year we saw 300 degree oil and over 250 coolant after 1 run!

• National Staff
I'd have a hard time believing that adding a CAI kit and heat extractor hood and laying down the radiator would all be a 1 point mod. I can see reading the rule that way. But you are basically adding power (with the CAI) and improving aero with the heat extractor hood and the layed down radiator.

C5 T1 cars have been running fine for years with just a stand alone oil cooler and an aftermarket radiator. Ours run around 210 coolant and 250 oil in 95+ heat.

Last year we ran our ST2 car with the radiator in the stock location, heat extractor hood, DRM radiator with oil cooler and we ran hot (especially at Nationals). This year we have the radiator layed down, have an external oil cooler (and a dry sump) and coolant temps haven't been over 210 and oil hasn't been over 260. I think the true test will be in Sept when we head back to Utah in the thin air. Last year we saw 300 degree oil and over 250 coolant after 1 run!

Yes, +1 point

Great. Now I gotta go find my sawzall.

I got one of werners old hoods around somewhere, it may be "intact" enough to be a guinea pig

I got one of werners old hoods around somewhere, it may be "intact" enough to be a guinea pig

Mike was looking for that hood to hang in his garage next to his 430.

Mike was looking for that hood to hang in his garage next to his 430.

I told him it was at my house. I'll have to mow the grass to find it

• 1 year later...
For clarification, if a car is running under a dyno reclass, this is a zero point mod as the point was assessed under section C, correct?

Yes; you skip sections B and C when you get a dyno reclass. But, if you make the modifications after you receive the reclass, and they affect the power level of the car, then you must re-dyno and submit for a new reclass.

Mark

For clarification, if a car is running under a dyno reclass, this is a zero point mod as the point was assessed under section C, correct?

Yes; you skip sections B and C when you get a dyno reclass. But, if you make the modifications after you receive the reclass, and they affect the power level of the car, then you must re-dyno and submit for a new reclass.

Mark

Excellent.

Thank you!