Engine mod?

coolhand5599

What tyep of HP could I expect with the ECS 2200 and meth? No other mods. If I wanted to road race this, just say 10 times before I sold the car. Would that do alot of damage to the motor? I have been told that FI cars are not good on the road tracks. Are ant other mods nessary?

Almost forgot, It is a new GS. If this would not be a good setup, please reccomend some.

so, you asked about putting your new stock Grand Sport on track in another thread, and people suggested brake fluid and pads, but now you want to supercharge it and add meth before your first time on track? you really ought to try tracking your car before adding power...you can't win an HPDE, but you sure can lose a lot.

adding power will run the engine harder, especially on track, so it will wear your motor more before you sell it. and I don't know who told you that FI isn't good on road courses, but I can't imagine it was anyone with track experience, or someone that has ever followed professional racing for that matter...there are so many examples I can't even begin to count them.

go to Hertz or your other favorite rental car company

rent a compact car

drive it on track

You'll learn TONS more than you will in the Corvette if you're just starting out

Better to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slowly and all that. It'll make you focus on nailing the braking and cornering to get around the track quickly and that's the hardest part.

All that aside, there are issues with safety/legality on track with alcohol/methanol - imagine tagging a wall and the tank bursting, flames that you can't see, etc. Not fun for anyone.

If you absolutely INSIST on modifications before your first trackday, focus on reliability and safety - not speed. The people that have alot of fun their first time out often either have stock cars, or cars where the focus was more on reliability and safety if it was modified. Your instructor will also appreciate it I'm sure

I am thinking I will only got to the track 3 to 4 times a year. I want the SC for play on the road. I am only wanting to go to the track for fun not to win anything. And I will for sure be on the track before I add the SC.

Wow. You know, people actually write comical sketches about novice drivers who want to add more power to an already over powered car before they even track it.

I am thinking I will only got to the track 3 to 4 times a year. I want the SC for play on the road. I am only wanting to go to the track for fun not to win anything. And I will for sure be on the track before I add the SC.

after you go to the track and get your foot all the way down to see what your car can do, maybe you will change your mind about the supercharger. if you still want to add it for light to light runs (if that still excites you after having fun pushing through turns instead of in a straight line), then you'll just have to be even more careful with your throttle foot on the track. and if you need injection to make the supercharger safer for the engine, do water instead of meth and a proper intercooler.

just remember to let the miata by after he catches you in the turns, even if you have to stay off the throttle down the whole front straight.

just remember to let the miata by after he catches you in the turns, even if you have to stay off the throttle down the whole front straight.

........but seriously. Watch your mirrors, we are small and easily hidden large by Corvette ass.

Stay Stock. !!

I can tell you from first hand experience it is much harder to learn with a 600+ hp car then with one with half of that. I bought the Callaway then went to an HPDE just for fun. Now after a few days at summit Point and VIR I think I am hooked. Trust what these folks are telling you.

I really had no choice but to track my daily driver. Just so many $'s to spend.

Yes, it is a blast to have much more power than you can use, but learning at the track is complex and added hp just makes it harder.

However, in the long run (after you learn, perhaps a year or so) I am sure (I hope for my sake) that it will be fantastic.

PS> Keeping a SC from heat soak at the track is really impossible. After a few laps you power will be down significantly from the start. When you do upgrade you may want to consider NA upgrades instead.

Doug/Chris @ ECS are some of the best in the business.... they have probably the best FI kit available for the C5/C6 platform and they are both drag race and road race guys. They won't sell you a supercharger package if you're wanting to do trackdays, just ask them. You can make it work, but all you're doing is adding more parts, making the system more complicated, and putting more stress on all of the other components which will need upgrades if you get into the trackday hobby.

I started trackdays in my old yellow 2001 Z06.... I ended up doing a big cam and headers and all kinds of fun stuff. Now that I'm doing it over again I'm building a TTA car and the motor stays stock.... 350 rwhp is all you need to run 2:04-2:05s around a course like VIR.

My $0.02 do a trackday in your car w/ it stock first... you'll either love it or it will scare you. If you love it.... go buy a cheap dedicated track car i.e. a Miata or older M3 BMW or a C5Z like I have. Trackdays are much more fun when you're not trying to keep your $65,000 new Corvette nice and pretty.

If you really just want to do 3-4 a year an stay in the mid-level HPDE groups, then that's fine, but I really don't kow anyone who does that.... everyone gets addicted. FYI Corvetteforum has an auto-x/Roadracing forum that is Corvette specific and full of a bunch of knowledge. Many of them post on here, but you'll get better info more quickly over there.

-Brian

• 4 months later...

I started HPDE at the beginning of last year & the best advice I was given on these forums was to leave my car at stock power & 2nd best piece of advise was to upgrade brake pads & fluid. I've found that by listening to those 2 pieces of advice I had a fun & safe time along with a much improved learning curve vs if I had done a bunch of power mods.