another TT newb question?

lee33lyn

In the SE, we've been doing (5) 15 minute sessions for the last few events. It seems to be working well and gives an opportunity for folks to post times later in the day if they have some type of problem in the morning.

"Most" diehard TT guys couldn't care less how long the sessions are since usually your fastest times are

very early in the run. After that you're just using up your equipment.

If you're looking for more track time, you may be better off in another group. thumbsup.gif

I'm still learning and can't get enough track time. Just looking at the cost vs track time. I do want to start competing in some way but my CMC car isn't ready yet.

Quality of track time is more important than cost vs track time IMHO. And the quality of track time in NASA TT is excellent - lots of open track, minimal passing, very skilled drivers, etc.

I'm still learning and can't get enough track time. Just looking at the cost vs track time.

Those statements sound to me like you are not yet ready for Time Trials. If you are looking for a place to learn, this isn't really it.

People get pretty hard-core and if you are out there as a rolling chicane, it will get people pretty pissed in a hurry! Maybe HPDE 3 or 4 would be a better place to learn and maximize your time on track.

someone doesn't follow enough racing Milk and Donuts = Milka Duno = aka the rolling chicane

Ahh... knew of her "abilities" hadn't heard the nickname before.... Sorry!

Edited by Guest

I'm still learning and can't get enough track time. Just looking at the cost vs track time.

Those statements sound to me like you are not yet ready for Time Trials. If you are looking for a place to learn, this isn't really it.

People get pretty hard-core and if you are out there as a rolling chicane, it will get people pretty pissed in a hurry! Maybe HPDE 3 or 4 would be a better place to learn and maximize your time on track.

+1 TT is for when you've progressed beyond random lapping sessions and desire an element of competition. Stick to HPDE 2 or 3 (depending on your skill level) if you're trying to lear the hobby. That said, we're all always learning, but you know what I mean.

If you want lots of track time then NASA isn't the place to get it IMO. NASA has their niche and that niche is competition. If you want the most track time for your money then go run a Chin or TrackDaze event... it costs a bit more buy your track time/dollar is better.

The trade-off w/ NASA is that you get to be around actual races which are fun to watch and make the weekend more interesting IMO.

I'm still learning and can't get enough track time. Just looking at the cost vs track time. I do want to start competing in some way but my CMC car isn't ready yet.

The ideal profile for a time trial is to warm up the tires, do one perfect lap, cool down, and come in. Your competition tires last longer, brakes last longer, you last longer too. It's rare for folks to hit that profile perfectly, but I very, very rarely use all the time I have for a time trial session. I don't have data acq, so I have to guess at good times. I generally run until the tires are ready to go, then try for three fast laps, one cool down, then pit it.

None of that is conducive to practice. I use DE sessions and other groups to practice, where I can bash around on old tires all day and not feel like I'm burning up prize Hoosiers. After all, you use those to win more.

You equate learning with being slow. I try to learn everyday in my life and I assume its the same on the track.

My instructors told me awhile back I was ready to get my comp lisc. but my CMC car isn't ready yet. I just want to get a taste of competition. I don't plan on winning anytime soon but I definitely won't be the leader in a train.

You equate learning with being slow. I try to learn everyday in my life and I assume its the same on the track.

My instructors told me awhile back I was ready to get my comp lisc. but my CMC car isn't ready yet. I just want to get a taste of competition. I don't plan on winning anytime soon but I definitely won't be the leader in a train.

I do not neccesarily equate learning with being slow; after all, we all learn something every day.

What I do believe is that TT is not the place to go to maximize you track time. Like others have said, HPDE3 or HPDE4 is a better place to learn and you can still time yourself and compare to others.

If you want competition but do not plan to win, you are in the wrong place! Obviously everyone can't win, but they should try! If not what's the point of competition?

I think he's got the right attitude - you can learn alot by chasing people down and stiching together that perfect qualifying/TT lap it'll be useful to know and have down even if the end goal is racing