HPDE Monticello, NY - Sept 17 - Questions (NASA Northeast)

baron95

Hi,

I’ve done multiple HPDE events with SCDA, including 2 at Monticello, but this will be my first event with NASA. Could you please help me with the following questions?

1 – I’ll be driving an unmodified late model street car – do I need to do tech before going to the track or can I do it at Monticello on the day of the event?

2 – What are the requirements for car numbers? Do I get them assigned ahead of time? Are 6” side glass numbers ok?

3 – Does HPDE-2 run together with HPDE-1 or in separate sessions?

4 - How about HPDE-3 and HPDE-4?

5 - Are unmodified cars (e.g. Z06, M3s, 911, Exige) common participants in HPDE-3 in the NASA Northeast events?

6 - Anyone can provide more info contrasting SCDA and NASA Northeast HPDE events?

Thank you in advance for your replies. I'm looking forward to getting to know this group and just want to get situated before heading to Monticello on the 17th.

1 - Tech can be done beforehand at an approved facility OR at the track. Just leave extra time to wait in the tech line if doing it at the track.

2 - Numbers can be put on the glass, but they must be easily visible (no shoe polish or window chalk, though). One-time use white on black sticker numbers are available for a few dollars at registration.

3/4 - Typically, the two groups that get run together are instructors and group 4, since they are both open passing groups. Occasionally, 3 and 4 have been run together, and I don't think I have ever seen us run 1 and 2 together. At Monticello, I doubt there will be two groups running together, since there are no racers, but if signups were really low in 3 or 4, I suppose it might happen.

5 - Unmodified cars can be found in any group. Our groups are purely experience/skill based, and the speed of your car is not a factor in determining your run group.

6 - I never ran with SCDA to compare.

Some regions sometimes split 1 into 1A and 1B and 2 into 2A and 2B if there is a dearth of instructors or an overabundance of HPDE students. 1A will run with 2A and 1B/2B. Doesn't usually happen

Some regions sometimes split 1 into 1A and 1B and 2 into 2A and 2B if there is a dearth of instructors or an overabundance of HPDE students. 1A will run with 2A and 1B/2B. Doesn't usually happen

Thanks for the info. I searched the forums before posting the question, and it sounded like combining 1 and 2 was prevalent - but mostly from other regions.

So, when are we likely to know the schedule/grouping for this event?

I surmised that you run intermediate group at other events like SCDA, BMW CCA, etc and are quite familiar with the track, then you should sign up for HPDE-3, and if it is a unfamiliar track then HPDE-2 and ask for an instructor.

Is that correct, or am I totally off base?

Thanks.

That sounds like a reasonable plan, but if you want to sign up to run in 2 with an instructor, you should probably contact Jay Tepper (our head instructor) first to make sure that it won't be a problem. It usually isn't, but when 1 & 2 run back-to-back, you may end up losing some track time trying to do it that way if there are no extra instructors available.

The schedule is usually done about a week or a few days before the event.

The rest of your questions have been answered I think. I have not run with SCDA but, from what I've heard, the two groups are fairly similar. I've wanted to do some of their events but most of their events are on weekdays or conflict with other interests

NASA NE has combined 1 and 2 before but I can just about guarantee you that it will not happen here. I've seen it happen maybe once and it was something like a holiday weekend with low registration so combining the groups meant 7 cars in the combined group with plenty of space. It seems to be much more prevalent in other regions. It is more common as has been stated to do HPDE1a and HPDE1b or 2a and 2b.

I've instructed with both groups and I'd say that the events are run almost exactly the same way. Only thing which can differ is the number of HPDE groups and that they may be combined for some sessions but other than that, really nothing out of the ordinary. See at Monticello!

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update for future readers. I signed up for HPDE-3, and ran at that group. It was the right placement for my skill level, and was very enjoyable. All 4 HPDE groups ran on their own - no mixing.

Confirmation of placement was based on a very short "interview" of driver experience at sign-up - no instructor evaluation.

A couple of guys on my run group were black flagged (they were obviously in the wrong group), and I assume moved down to HPDE-2.

Overall, HPDE-3 at NASA seems to be very comparable to SCDA Intermediate run groups, but SCDA tends to attract faster/higher horsepower cars - e.g. there seems to be more GT3s, 911 Turbos, F430s, E92s running on SCDA. But that could be just coincidence.

Contrary to what I have ready, NASA Northeast does not allow passengers on HPDE-3. Only HPDE-4. Also HPDE-3 was passing by point by only and only on the straight.

Overall a very enjoyable event.

Contrary to what I have ready, NASA Northeast does not allow passengers on HPDE-3. Only HPDE-4. Also HPDE-3 was passing by point by only and only on the straight.

I ran this event with some friends and we were in various classes (HPDE 1, 2 and 3). My friend in 3 asked the head hancho there (don't know his name/title, but he gives the driver's meeting speech) if passengers were allowed in 3 and he said yes. While in grid with a passenger, my friend was told by several people that his passenger had to get out but referred them to the head hancho saying he allowed it. So I guess I am in agreement that there are certainly mixed signals from the club on this, but this was our first hand experience with it.

And yes, it was a great event, despite the morning sessions being short, slow and pretty disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran this event with some friends and we were in various classes (HPDE 1, 2 and 3). My friend in 3 asked the head hancho there (don't know his name/title, but he gives the driver's meeting speech) if passengers were allowed in 3 and he said yes. While in grid with a passenger, my friend was told by several people that his passenger had to get out but referred them to the head hancho saying he allowed it. So I guess I am in agreement that there are certainly mixed signals from the club on this, but this was our first hand experience with it.

Geez - I guess I asked the wrong person I asked a lady at sign in - I think her name was Susan. I'll try asking multiple people until someone says yes.

Yes, too bad Monticello is going private - that is a great track for HPDE.

Passengers are allowed in HPDE4 and HPDE5 only in the northeast.

The head honcho's son is on here and may or may not comment but he was obviously distracted when you asked if he said HPDE3 allows passengers. His wife, Suzan, is the one that told you HPDE4 and HPDE5 for passengers.

Usually there are plenty of 4 and 5 drivers around that are willing to give rides. All you have to do is ask around or find a car with an X on it denoting instructor or sit around at grid when either group is going out. Just make sure you've signed the waiver and have a wristband.