TTE Build Question

LeeC

Hey guys, I'm planning on doing a kind of budget TTE build on my 01 GSR, getting kind of sick of drag racing every year (I have a built 94 supra).

I've done some searching and I've seen most people run r-comps, but I figured I would ask anyway.

The car is based in TTE, So I have 19 points to spend, would I be better off using up 13 points on a6's or run a street tire like an re11 or star spec and use those 13 points elsewhere.

I appreciate the help and I miss this kind of racing!

Lee

Tires, suspension, power, in that order, though that's somewhat track dependent.

The R6 is an excellent tire and 3 points less (+10) than the A6 (+13). I haven't run them, but NT01s are reported to be excellent, and at only +7 points, that will help. You get points back for running less than the class-designated width. In TTE if you run 205s you get -7 points back! Springs and dampers are +5 and another +2 for anti-sway bars. So, that's +10 for 205 R6s & suspension, leaving 9 points for other modifications. Max out as many no point modifications as you can and go have fun.

Josh, is your SSM car really a TTD car? Do you TT with Hoosiers? How much difference in terms of lap times do the Hoosiers make over the SSM Toyos?

Thanks,

-S

Tires, suspension, power, in that order, though that's somewhat track dependent.

The R6 is an excellent tire and 3 points less (+10) than the A6 (+13). I haven't run them, but NT01s are reported to be excellent, and at only +7 points, that will help. You get points back for running less than the class-designated width. In TTE if you run 205s you get -7 points back! Springs and dampers are +5 and another +2 for anti-sway bars. So, that's +10 for 205 R6s & suspension, leaving 9 points for other modifications. Max out as many no point modifications as you can and go have fun.

Thanks for the info, I'm not too too familiar with the different r-comps people are running now, I only ran a6's on my old bs s2k.

I can't wait to actually get out on the track and get my feet wet with this!

Josh, is your SSM car really a TTD car? Do you TT with Hoosiers? How much difference in terms of lap times do the Hoosiers make over the SSM Toyos?

Sorry for the confusion - SSM as in Super Street Modified SCCA autocross class, not the NASA Showroom Spec Miata class.

When I first started tracking my car it was set up as a Spec Miata on 205/50/15 RA1s. When I tried a set of 205/50/15 Hoosier SM6 tires (essentially the same as R6, but less expensive), my lap times dropped by a couple of seconds at both Homestead Motor Speedway and Sebring. I now TT on 225/45/15 Hoosier R6 tires. In testing with normally aspirated power (~130rwhp), the 205s were faster than the 225s. However, with my current power level (165rwhp), I think the 225s give me a slight edge.

Thanks, Josh. My mistake. I stopped autoxing about 10 yrs ago and I am oblivious to what has happened since in that sport. Every now and then I'll look an an article or read some posts and the whole thing appears to have become alphabet soup.

Lee, I'm not a TT'er yet but I am working my way through HPDE while building my car (98 Integra LS) to TTE specs. To keep a GSR in TTE, I would probably do the following:

205/50-15 Hoosier R6 (or SM6, a Spec Miata tire which is the same as the R6 but cheaper and only comes in 205/50-15) +10

Since TTE has a base tire width of 235, 'downgrading' to a 205 (which we can't run much more anyway) is worth -7 points! That makes the R6/SM6 a 3 point mod.

Tires Total: 3 points

Next is suspension, I would use the tried and true Koni/GC combination which equals +5 points:

3) Non-OEM or modified/re-valved shocks/struts/dampers +3 (all others)(springs not included)

4) Non-OEM or modified coil springs, leaf springs/spacers/brackets, or torsion bars +2

I would also install a larger rear sway bar (I am using ASR's 24mm bar with subframe brace) +5 total:

6) Add, replace, remove, or modify anti-roll bars (“sway” bars—front, rear, or both—may have spherical joints on the end links without additional points assessment) +2

28) Add or modify other chassis stiffening devices or fabricated parts (such as lower strut braces or lower arm braces (with greater than two attachment points), subframe connectors, subframe braces, subframe mounts/bushings, etc) +3

Suspension Total: 10 points

After driving my Integra with a limited slip differential, I think it's a very worthwhile mod... worth 3 points.

Engine/Drivetrain Total: 3 points

That leaves 3 points left... which you can either add an intake and header, or bump the R6's up to A6's... or drop 50 lbs...

Have fun with the build,

Bill

I dunno, might be a bit rough on tires. Not all cars have the luxury of having so much tire underneath them relative to their weight that something really soft will last just fine