ABS in a AI

mikef

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but do any of the AI cars run 4 wheel ABS, or should I say any of the top running cars run ABS? I'm building a car and thought "if the brakes are big enough, and the car is light enough the ABS might work if brake fade doesn't take over" the only other bad part is the glide rate, thats the ABS version of locked up the wheels and smoking em on a non ABS car, your standing on the pedal, it's in full ABS and it wont stop in time, a ABS car will give you a false sense of security right up to the point it's too late and your in the Oh Sh!# zone, anyways I thought I would post this to see what response I got, please feel free to say what you think, thanks.

I am running ABS. However, this is my rookie season with only 3 races behind me. I do not have brake fade, and generally, whether it is me or the car, I tend to brake deaper than most other cars into the corners. I have run with ABS off as well, and I have locked up a tire here and there when braking at the same points. But, it is another system that adds weight and can fail.... but I do like it....

I took mine out, only because I did a front caliper/rotor upgrade and rear bias valve. Before the valve and with the ABS the rears would lock up like crazy. FYI this is on a '96 Camaro. I think Nick Steel ('93? Camaro) is putting his ABS back in?

Christine

I've never used ABS. Been very successful, but I can't say if done right it is a bad idea. I just think that some of the factory ABS systems are not all that great for racing purposes from what I have heard. As mentioned above it does add weight and complexity to the vehicle. I would mount it all in the cockpit and re-plumb the entire system if I chose to go that route.

One thing I don't like about allowing ABS is that with the wheel sensors and all it may be a way of cleverly concealing a traction control system which can be an advantage. I don't think that there is enough in the way of tech inspectors for AI to identify all these sorts of things. I would rather keep things a little more simpler at our level of racing.

One thing I don't like about allowing ABS is that with the wheel sensors and all it may be a way of cleverly concealing a traction control system which can be an advantage. I don't think that there is enough in the way of tech inspectors for AI to identify all these sorts of things. I would rather keep things a little more simpler at our level of racing.

All 99+ Mustangs with ABS already have traction control.

You could also use the VSS signal as an input and pull timing if your from wheel VSS signal was 0. That way on the dyno you could show lower hp than what is actually available on the track.

There was a pretty good discussion regarding ABS when we were discussing rule changes for 05.

The Ford Mustang Cobra (99+) does have traction control, HOWEVER, it sucks for racing purposes. It is extremely sensitive. Even at Vegas last November, on the Sunday rain race, I attempted to run part of the race with it on as I thought it might be an advantage, however, the system simply over-compensates. I always turn the system OFF.

The Ford Mustang Cobra (99+) does have traction control, HOWEVER, it sucks for racing purposes. It is extremely sensitive. Even at Vegas last November, on the Sunday rain race, I attempted to run part of the race with it on as I thought it might be an advantage, however, the system simply over-compensates. I always turn the system OFF.

I guess that's true for those of you that run the stock calibration.....you mean you guys can get a flashed ABS module?

I'm not as skilled a driver as the race guys are, but personally I don't like the ABS on track in my 99 Mustang GT (which I open track and time trial). In the dry I don't get it to activate, but in the wet when it works it's the worst feeling in the world trying to control the steering.

It feels like all your wheel weights fell off, the shocks are shot, and you're driving over one of Detroit's washboard roads. Keeping the steering wheel straight is not easy - it jerks 20-25 degrees off center, and at the braking limit that's not my favorite way to head toward corner turn in. I pull the fuse now and accept the occasional wheel lock up in the wet as I run over a puddle but keep the car pointed straight and the steering wheel calm.

Maybe a higher performance ABS would work in the wet, but what I have is not acceptable.

All 99+ Mustangs with ABS already have traction control.

That's not true, Mark. Both Jason and I have 99's, ABS, and no traction control. Jason's is a late 99, and mine is very early (Nov 98 production). TC was an option according to my owner's manual.

Our brake lines are also very different. He has the standard system with 2 lines going to the rear, but mine is strange - the rear has a single line with a "Y" splitter, which then sends the lines to each rear disk brake. I had no idea this architecture was used until I went to replace the rear lines with SS, and the standard 99 SS line kit won't fit the right rear because of the Y.

• 2 weeks later...

ABS is great and half the AI field in Texas run it.

Maybe it's not the best in a racing situation and maybe it is, but when it rains it is.

When it comes to flat spotting a tire I believe it becomes an advantage and a great way to reduce operating costs.

JG