GT-racing wing uprights?

Lemming

I'm installing a predator wing on Franky II and just got a set of aluminum wing uprights from GT-racing. Does anyone have any close up photos of how they mounted these an 944 chassis? Did you just bolt directly to the chassis without any modifications?

I don't have them on my car but Brad Waite, Mike Ward and Wellborn Jack all do. In all cases, the bottom of the upright is bolted to the top of the rear fender, underneath the rubber hatch spoiler. Also in all cases, the GT uprights needed support to keep from wiggling worryingly from side to side. The method used by all three are guy wires made of thin (1/16", I believe) steel cable you can get from Lowe's. This can either be attached to one or more points on the rubber wing (Waite and Jack) or criss-crossed between the uprights themselves (Ward).

You can see Ward's criss-cross here (kinda): http://f-51gtphoto.smugmug.com/2010-NASA-Great-Lakes-Region/Mid-Ohio-Sports-Car-Course-14/Weekend-Highlights/13400400_NyujA#975639564_QLMZS

Waite's wires-to-the-center-of-the-rubber-wing here (kinda): http://f-51gtphoto.smugmug.com/2010-NASA-Great-Lakes-Region/Mid-Ohio-Sports-Car-Course-14/Weekend-Highlights/13400400_NyujA#975667859_mjjwy

I welded/bolted supports to the chassis area just below the rubber wing. The uprights are attached to the supports with the use of 4 quick release pins and the uprights go through slots in the rubber to the wing. Very stable. No need for wires.

Ed

Thanks guys, this helps.

Ed, do you have a close up of your mounts?

John, do you have a pic of the piece you welded on?

I guess I assumed that the base of the wing uprights was formed to fit the curvature of the chassis where it mounts. I was surprised to see that it was just a flat piece of metal that really does not have all that much surface contact with the car. I called and talked with Joel and he really couldn't help me with the proper mounting

Another thought, why bother running the original rubber rear spoiler when the wing is in place? I removed it on my last car to drop weight.

302%20at%20tigpri.jpg

I just used a 1/8" x 1" AL strip along the leading edge the whole way down. One of the local guys does not run the rubber. It takes alot of work to fasten the glass without it, or you can run a 924 hatch that doesn;t have it.

I just used a 1/8" x 1" AL strip along the leading edge the whole way down. One of the local guys does not run the rubber. It takes alot of work to fasten the glass without it, or you can run a 924 hatch that doesn;t have it.

I'll be using the same one that is pictured above, this is a 924S hatch with the rubber wing removed. I've had no problems keeping the lexan in.

Also, did you guys cut plates the shorter, the wing certainly seems high! It looks like at stock height, the wing will be 6 to 7 inches above the roof line. At that height, it certainly will get a clean air flow!

Tim:

I got three bolts on each side and it was a major pita. I can send closeups if you need. the cabling is best done in an X pattern and that makes the wing very solid.

PM if you want [email protected]

Thanks Mike, email sent.