daily driven/tracked car, should ikeep my brake dust shields

bradze

It is not the shields, it is the pads. Get yourself some good Hawk pads like the DTC's from Andrew Racing.

Dump the shields too, though.

Ed

The purpose of brake dust shields is to prevent DTV (Disk Thickness Variation) caused by dust/dirt/debris hitting your rotor during the normal environmental conditions found during street driving. Eliminating the dust shields will increase the risk of developing DTV, which ultimately causes brake judder & steering wheel nibble. (Trust me, if vehicle manufacturers could save the cost of getting rid of these, they would...)

As far as racing - get rid of them if they are not helping your brake cooling. For the street - your call...

On the other hand, if you are already replacing your rotors frequently due to track use, or not really concerned with steering wheel vibration, then it probably doesnt matter....

thanks, yeah i know what they're for, i go back and forth about taking them off or not. its only 2 bolts so i might just take em off when i change to race pads for track days. i run raybestos st43s then switch to something street friendly so im not replacing rotors all the time

For a tracked car, if you've got the means to put cooling hoses to the brakes? By all means do it. Made a huge difference on my past 911 car. So if you can get even a miniscule improvement by removing the splash shields then you should do it. Anything you can do to keep the pad in its temp operating range and not overheat is going to extend the life of your pads and rotors.

However i've noticed that removing them can make for longer braking distances when it's wet on the street. I removed them on my street car (BMW 5 series) and found that the exposure in the rain caused a noticeable difference in brake feel. It felt like brake fade for longer than i'd like, until the pads could swipe the rotor clear of water. Might just be the ceramic low dust compound i'm using (Axxis Deluxe), but nonetheless it was a noticeable difference that I did not like. So I put them back on since it's only a street car. There's a reason why they put them on there!