Brake pad question (HPDE first timer)

Monx

Hi all,

This Saturday is going to be my first time attending an HPDE event at Pocono raceway.

Now my question is, I just had a brand new set of OEM brake pads installed, will they last me the whole day and return back home (live 2 hours away) with out any worries or is it important that I bring extra set of pads along with me?

Cheers,

R

Hi all,

This Saturday is going to be my first time attending an HPDE event at Pocono raceway.

Now my question is, I just had a brand new set of OEM brake pads installed, will they last me the whole day and return back home (live 2 hours away) with out any worries or is it important that I bring extra set of pads along with me?

Cheers,

R

What do you drive?

What do you drive?

2003 Mustang SVT Cobra

Although I have no experience with that car in particular, typically with a heavy car such as yours you will wear the brakes down much quicker than you expect.

OEM pads would NOT last a full track day on my WRX so I would venture to say you may want to bring a spare set of pads to be safe and flush your brake system prior to the event with some good brake fluid such as ATE or Motul.

Have fun at your first track day and good luck with the brakes!

What do you drive?

2003 Mustang SVT Cobra

Although I have no experience with that car in particular, typically with a heavy car such as yours you will wear the brakes down much quicker than you expect.

OEM pads would NOT last a full track day on my WRX so I would venture to say you may want to bring a spare set of pads to be safe and flush your brake system prior to the event with some good brake fluid such as ATE or Motul.

Have fun at your first track day and good luck with the brakes!

Many thanks for the advice man.

Sounds like I will order the hawk pads right now and keep them in the trunk just incase. Although I'm hoping to drive back on the OEM pads.

Cheers and thanks again!

i would rather advise u swap in the hawks before you go out on track. especially since you have a beast of a car, you're going to be doing hard braking. don't really know how good those OEM pads are. but if they don't hold up to track session, you might miss the next session while you swap in the hawk pads (assuming yer bringing all the tools to do the job)

i would rather advise u swap in the hawks before you go out on track. especially since you have a beast of a car, you're going to be doing hard braking. don't really know how good those OEM pads are. but if they don't hold up to track session, you might miss the next session while you swap in the hawk pads (assuming yer bringing all the tools to do the job)

This would be a good plan. Always best to do your brake swapping at home first, with ample light, tools, and sleep!

This makes a lot of sense! I really would rather not do any swapping while I'm at the track and just worry about being on the track and have fun, good thing I chose 1 day shipping and should receive them tomorrow and put them on.

Thanks so much for all the advice!!

Alot of people consider brakes safety equipment - so its good to make sure they're up to the task. Doubly so on an at least 360whp 3700lb car (driver + passenger/instructor yaknow).

Depending on which Hawk pads you run you should not drive them to the track. HP or HP Plus are ok to drive on the street but they can get cooked on the track. DTC60/70 are more serious track pads but not suited for street driving. Also, you should install new rotors and bed the pads on those rotors. Don't mix pads on the same rotors. If you plan on driving the car to the track then HP/HP Plus might be your best bet. Bed them in on new rotors and bring an extra set to the track. If you have traction control, turn it off or you'll overheat the rears quickly.

Since this is your first event I would suggest that you brake a little easier and work on controlling your corner entry speed instead of standing the car on its nose. "Slow in fast out".

That said, taking a extra set of brake pads is always a good idea if you need to drive the car home.

Alot of people consider brakes safety equipment - so its good to make sure they're up to the task. Doubly so on an at least 360whp 3700lb car (driver + passenger/instructor yaknow).

Def good to keep that in mind!

Edited by Guest

Depending on which Hawk pads you run you should not drive them to the track. HP or HP Plus are ok to drive on the street but they can get cooked on the track. DTC60/70 are more serious track pads but not suited for street driving. Also, you should install new rotors and bed the pads on those rotors. Don't mix pads on the same rotors. If you plan on driving the car to the track then HP/HP Plus might be your best bet. Bed them in on new rotors and bring an extra set to the track. If you have traction control, turn it off or you'll overheat the rears quickly.

I got the Hawk HPS pads. Traction control will def be off as always, thanks for the tips!

Since this is your first event I would suggest that you brake a little easier and work on controlling your corner entry speed instead of standing the car on its nose. "Slow in fast out".

That said, taking a extra set of brake pads is always a good idea if you need to drive the car home.

Thanks man, will definitely go easy on the brakes and work on the slow in fast out, downshifting should also help the pads a bit. I'd like to just go home without changing pads but will bring them anyways.

I can't wait, I'm leaving Friday night before so I can go directly to the track in morning

Thanks man, will definitely go easy on the brakes and work on the slow in fast out, downshifting should also help the pads a bit. I'd like to just go home without changing pads but will bring them anyways.

I can't wait, I'm leaving Friday night before so I can go directly to the track in morning

How did go w/ stock pads.? I was going to say I would leave the stock ones on and save the good ones once you get more seat time and start late, hard breaking..... I know some racers who try not to use much brake at all if they can help it.

How did go w/ stock pads.? I was going to say I would leave the stock ones on and save the good ones once you get more seat time and start late, hard breaking..... I know some racers who try not to use much brake at all if they can help it.

It went pretty well, the Hawk HPS actually still have 50% on them, I tried to be easy on the break but I noticed my self pushing the limits and not applying enough braking, but end of day got it down, here's some videos of my last sessions!

• 2 weeks later...

What do you drive?

2003 Mustang SVT Cobra which has 13.0 in Brembo twin-piston caliper.

I am fairly new to HPDE (will be first-time NASA HPDE at Road Atlanta in December). I drive a 2008 Mustang Bullitt and I am still on my stock pads after 26K miles of DD and 5 track days. The Bullitt came stock with special carbon metallic front pads so they may be better than your stock pads, but I don't think you will need to worry about pads so much as a beginner. I don't think your instructor will let you drive fast enough in HPDE 1 to burn up your pads during a track day like some of these more advanced drivers. The main thing to remember is not to ride your brakes- get on them and then get off them.

What do you drive?

2003 Mustang SVT Cobra which has 13.0 in Brembo twin-piston caliper.

I am fairly new to HPDE (will be first-time NASA HPDE at Road Atlanta in December). I drive a 2008 Mustang Bullitt and I am still on my stock pads after 26K miles of DD and 5 track days. The Bullitt came stock with special carbon metallic front pads so they may be better than your stock pads, but I don't think you will need to worry about pads so much as a beginner. I don't think your instructor will let you drive fast enough in HPDE 1 to burn up your pads during a track day like some of these more advanced drivers. The main thing to remember is not to ride your brakes- get on them and then get off them.

Actually my instructor was a very good one and allowed me to drive as fast as I could/wanted infact never told me to slow down. I kept pushing the limits where my instructor kept pointing out my mistakes and I would listen and correct them, cars were pointing me by so it was all very safely done. I hit 135mph on the straight, video of my sessions are posted above.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually my instructor was a very good one and allowed me to drive as fast as I could/wanted infact never told me to slow down. I kept pushing the limits where my instructor kept pointing out my mistakes and I would listen and correct them, cars were pointing me by so it was all very safely done. I hit 135mph on the straight, video of my sessions are posted above.

had fun?