HPDE Monticello, NY - Sept 17 - Class ?'s

Junior1

Hey guys, new to NASA, however I have run my past track days in the Intermediate Grouping.

3 days @ Summit Point (Main) and recently (Aug 22) ran the South configuration @ Monticello.

I am actually planning on attending the Monticello HPDE on 9/20 so I am looking to attend the NASA event on 9/17 to get a jump.

My question: Since HPDE 1 and HPDE 2 spots are filled for this event, would it be wise to sign up for HPDE 3 even though it would be my first NASA event?

The car is basically street stock CTS-V with minor reliability mods and performance tune...

Thanks for the help...

Contact the registrar for the region.

I'm guessing no because HPDE 3 is usually pass anywhere with a point by and if you aren't used to the folks that run regularly it could be a little unsafe.

Contact the registrar for the region.

I'm guessing no because HPDE 3 is usually pass anywhere with a point by and if you aren't used to the folks that run regularly it could be a little unsafe.

Thanks, that's what I was figuring. We use point by's too, but I'd like to be familiar with the guys running as well

Maybe WGI will work better...

I was in the same boat as you - unmodified street car - first time with NASA - experience at other HPDE organizations.

I emailed the National and Regional director, and was told I could register for either HPDE-2 or HPDE-3. Since I know Monticello well, I signed up for HPDE-3.

I have another thread on this - search for Monticello.

It seems that every region is different and the Northeast region seems to be much more controlled - it seems that HPDE-3 is passing by point-by only in the Northeast and is not run together with HPDE-4.

So, I'd say you'd be pretty safe signing in for HPDE-3. If you do, I'll see you at Monticello on the 17th. We'll be the two newbies at HPDE-3.

Monticello has 3 huge straights (one is 3/4 of a mile long) plus a short straight - passing is not a problem with proper point-bys. The other track days I did there, passing was only allowed in the 4 straights even in the Advanced group.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for future readers. I signed up for HPDE-3, and ran at that group. It was the right placement for my skill level, and was very enjoyable.

Confirmation of placement was based on a very short "interview" of driver experience.

A couple of guys on my run group were black flagged, and I assume moved to HPDE-2.

Overall, HPDE-3 at NASA seems to be very comparable to SCDA Intermediate run groups, but SCDA tends to attract faster/higher horsepower cars - e.g. there seems to be more GT3s, 911 Turbos, F430s, E92s running on SCDA. But that could be just coincidence.