afterthoughts on the 2010 Nasa Nationals H2 class

grocery runner

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth and thoughts on the Honda Challenge H2 race. First of all, I was glad that i made the last minute decision to race! It was only 3 weeks ago that I sat on the fence waivering if I was indeed going to Miller. my car sat in the trailer for 2 months without me even looking at it. We built a really good reliable car, thinking that the B-20 was the way to go.

We built the B-20 motor to the maximum limit and complied with all the rules for this motor. Ron Carroll built my motor and is a great Honda Motor builder and knows how to set up cars. I trust him. He knows what he is doing.

We went and did a test day before we left for the nationals and hear I was thinking my car was working great and the motor fast!!

Our dyno numbers on Driving Ambitions dyno (Shad) at sea level came out at 167hp and good torque.

Well much to my surprise, when we got to Miller and after we dyno'd the motor there, we were only putting out 146 HP up in altitude!!! My car felt as slow as my old H4 car and hear I am racing H2! Dissapointed to say the least. I spent all that money thinking we built a fast motor and there were H2 cars that dyno'd with 170 and more hp at altitude! In the race, I watched some cars BLOW by me down the straights even though we were in the same gear going the same speed off the last corner before the long straight and carrying the same momentum, then pass me as if I were standing still!! At that point, my only option was to be patient in the race and race smart, stay out of trouble and for me, it paid off as I finished 2nd. We have an opportunity with the honda challenge class now to grow as HPD is supporting us on a grass roots level! that's awesome. I suggest that you go see Rons post in the private forum.

All cars were nearly identical in speed in H2 except for 2. The law of averages would prove in this case that for the MAJORITY, everything worked as it should and expected. The anomalies are based on a very small percentage of the group and nobody understands why the smallest percentage had a significant horsepower diff.

Benny

The anomalies are based on a very small percentage of the group and nobody understands why the smallest percentage had a significant horsepower diff.

Benny

Pay me $$$ and I'll build you a B-series engine and tune it to have more hp than the competition. It's proven, and after 9 HOURS of tech, it's all H2 LEGAL.

jmeris

the NEW H2 CHAMP

All cars were nearly identical in speed in H2 except for 2. The law of averages would prove in this case that for the MAJORITY, everything worked as it should and expected. The anomalies are based on a very small percentage of the group and nobody understands why the smallest percentage had a significant horsepower diff.

Benny

You should have bought my lude and you could have kept up with him.

You should have bought my lude and you could have kept up with him.

Very True. If Mike was driving, he would be on the top spot of the podium

So does that make me the pretend H2 champ? Great job out there Meris! It takes more then just a badass motor to win nats...

Yes, congrats John, and yes, Mike it took a lot more than a badass motor, that was a tough and close race in H2. Jeremy was as fast until he went out, and Donna, Greg and Benny were not too far behind.

Yes, seemed like Tech were desperate to find something in a number of winning cars, we all spent all night there defending our title!

Bummer for John A, he had pole, and was running good too.

so what did they look at in tech for H2 anyway?

Everything that concerned the internals of the engine. Head, cams, ports, valves, Intake manifold, Throttle body, and I had to take out 1 piston/rod.

Race ended at 2:15pm ish. I got back my parts at 11:45pm. Everything deemed legal.

so what did they look at in tech for H2 anyway?

Everything that concerned the internals of the engine. Head, cams, ports, valves, Intake manifold, Throttle body, and I had to take out 1 piston/rod.

Race ended at 2:15pm ish. I got back my parts at 11:45pm. Everything deemed legal.

Did they at least offer you a meal for holding you up that long? Good job heard you were fast all weekend.

or at least tow your car back to your trailer! I would be better off to hire someone at the track to take a piston out. That type of work would take me all weekend to do.

I wish we could have someone inspect our engines over the winter and seal it so I don't have to worry about this type of stuff. My engine has NEVER even been out of the car. The block has been bone stock from the day it left Honda, and I really don't want to open the engine up for the 1st time myself at the track.

or at least tow your car back to your trailer! I would be better off to hire someone at the track to take a piston out. That type of work would take me all weekend to do.

I wish we could have someone inspect our engines over the winter and seal it so I don't have to worry about this type of stuff. My engine has NEVER even been out of the car. The block has been bone stock from the day it left Honda, and I really don't want to open the engine up for the 1st time myself at the track.

I agree with how bad it would be if I needed to find a way to crack open my engine. Is it as easy as changing lug nuts?