Passengers...

DaAznKnight

This question has probably been asked a billion times, so sorry for asking again. I have a little bit of a unique situation here:

I've had quite a few HPDEs under my belt. Lost count quite a while ago on how many I've attended. I feel kind of comfortable going with the HPDE 3 group (where passengers are allowed).

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to experience the joy of HPDEing. If anything, she may one day put her own car into one. I wish to attend the next NASA event at Putnam Park (Oct 8th), with this as the main goal.

However, most of my HPDEs were with other groups. MVP Track Time, Redline Time Attack, 100-Speed, SCCA PDX, etc. etc. I've only run one NASA Midwest event, and that's it, and this was back when I was still wet behind the ears.

So my question is..., can I just straight up sign up for HPDE 3 without a fully filled and signed HPDE Passport (if they're still doing that!)? I don't want to pay the large amounts of money just to go there and be told I have to go back into HPDE 1 and hence cannot bring my girlfriend along for the ride!

I think only instructors are allowed to take passengers. What you could do is see if an instructor could give her a ride. It may be different in each region so you may want to post it in the GL Region section too.

Drop an email or post up on the GL website, but if all else fails, look me up in the paddock (Silver Mustang GT, #281, TTB), and on Sunday, I'll be happy to take your girlfriend out for some hot laps in a Time Trials session.

List your track experience and sign up for 3. They may group you in 2 and you may ask for a check out ride to move into group 3. I ran the Road America event last year in HPDE3 with my father riding along and everything worked out fine.

• Members

Since the GL region doesn't know you, it might be optimistic to hope that they'll be comfortable with you taking a passenger out. In the SE region taking a passenger out would pretty much limited to instructors. Note that there's probably twice as many instructors at the average event as might be on the roster. For example, most of the racers at the event are also "instructors", they just won't be instructing at that particular event.

Just tell one of the folks running the event what you want to do. They'll say "go talk to , he'll take her.

Buh..., thanks for the advice fellas.

I love this woman more than I love my car. I don't trust anyone to drive my car, much less drive my girlfriend around a track. I don't know who set the car up, who built the safety equipment, and who's driving.

I think I'll go look for another HPDE event that's a little more lax with their rules. Thanks a lot!

I love this woman more than I love my car. I don't trust anyone to drive my car, much less drive my girlfriend around a track. I don't know who set the car up, who built the safety equipment, and who's driving.

I think I'll go look for another HPDE event that's a little more lax with their rules. Thanks a lot!

Sorry you feel that way. All the instructors in the South East probably spend more time on thier car and safety equipment than the average HPDE driver. Especially the guys that race, I know they spend more time than those of us that time trial.

Here is my simplified check list

After car is off the trailer, put on jack stands and remove the wheels

It sits like that until the day before the next event.

Bleed brakes - if fluid still gray after 3 pumps then flush entire system

Put a torque wrench on every bolt I can reach and check torque

check all 4 hubs and suspension for wear

Day before event

Check fluid levels - again

check critical bolts and componnents (I have found a bolt just off torque even though I had checked it a couple weeks before)

mount wheels, check hubs again

Take off jack stands and torque all lug nuts in two passes

At the track

check lug nut torque before first session and after each session

This is the overview list. My wife is a little OCD and made me come up with a real check list and its about 4 pages long

Good Luck

ask them about their policy - don't make a decision until you know it. This is one of those things that varies among regions and sometimes even varies based on track rules.

Seems a bit strange that you say you are concerned about safety but then are looking to go with a group that is lax on safety. I'd also note that you had some instructor's offering rides and if you are interested in convincing her to try out driving in HPDE, these are the same people keeping her safe from the passenger seat. Personally I've felt safer riding with other instructors than I have with some of my students.

At least two of the organizations he lists in his "other HPDE groups" experience aren't really HPDE providers at all, and don't necessarily put instructors in cars with novice or intermediate drivers. So it's possible that he hasn't spent much time around instructors, and doesn't yet understand the value of having one take her for a ride.