track facility damage insurance?

nnsquared

I don't remember which, but one track specifically states track and facility damage is the responsibility of the driver. No track day insurance I know of covers this. What say the experienced wanna-be racers? Wrong, right, solution?

NNsquared

I only know of one person ever actually dinged for track damage, and that was a bad enough accident that it moved concrete barriers - right before the biggest pro weekend of the year at that track. I've hit tire walls and armco at tracks with the damage clauses, and know people that have done the same, but have yet to be presented with a bill or find anyone else that has really had to pay...

Not to say that more examples aren't out there, but IMO it's super rare!

depends on the tracks in your area

I know a few SE guys that can tell you to the penny what a stick of armco at Barber costs when you ding it

The goal is to not try to find out what the cost is... though its sometimes posted (I think Great Lakes posts the Mid-Ohio fees are). For DE, I'd say its a pretty low risk. Surely nothing I would ever consider paying insurance for. Even in the case Patrick stated above, I still wouldn't have thought about paying for insurance.

I don't remember which, but one track specifically states track and facility damage is the responsibility of the driver. No track day insurance I know of covers this. What say the experienced wanna-be racers? Wrong, right, solution?

The solution is... don't wreck.

And it depends upon the track and the region. Some tracks roll a certain amount of repairs into the daily rental fee, others present an itemized bill per incident. Around here if a bill is presented to the event organizers, it gets passed on to you. And when that bill arrives, "you break it, you bought it" seems to be the most fair way to keep entry fees from going up for everyone. Otherwise it would be like renting a beach house with your buddies and asking them to chip in when YOU accidentally break a window.

• 3 weeks later...
depends on the tracks in your area

I know a few SE guys that can tell you to the penny what a stick of armco at Barber costs when you ding it

and some that know how much it costs to refill a fire bottle!