Helmets opinions

littlebluewagon

I'm just starting out in HPDE-1 and wanted opinions on the following SA2005 helmets all between $200-300. Please add personal experiences. Thanks.

Bell M4, Bell BR1, Racequip Ridgeline, Pyrotect Pro Airflow Full Face, HJC AR10, and HJC AR10 II (SA2010)

Any other helmets you can suggest are also welcome.

I've only had a chance to try on a new Bell Sport SA2010 in a size small, which surprised me because it fit. I thought I'd need a medium...I'm going back this week to try other brands. I do need a wider opening than the new Bells as I wear glasses for driving.

What kind do you have, kbrew?

FWIW, I am doing my first DE at Road Atlanta in December and was recently shopping for a helmet.

I tried on a Bell M4 (2005 and 2010), M4 pro and a Simpson bandit. Decided to go with the 2010 M4. Actually liked the fit and finish of the 2005 M4 better than the 2010, but decided on the 2010 in case I don't wear it out in 5 years. The smaller eyeport on the 2010 did not bother me.

I worked with Ron and Sean at discovery parts (they are a forum sponsor and offer a discount to NASA members). They were very accomodating and great to buy from.

Mike

probably a different size and shape head but the Bell and Pyrotect brands fit me the best. It'd be tough to go wrong with any of them though I promise

Any other helmets you can suggest are also welcome.

Go with what fits best over brand/make/model.

I like the G-Force helmets. They seem to last better than some Bells I've seen, for about the same money if not cheaper.

I've got a Bell M4 Pro and love it. It fits me perfectly and I've got a big ole melon head. I also wear glasses BTW and have no problem with them.

I love my Bell K1 Sport and there are lots of deals on it now with the SA2010 coming out (still good for 5 years and it will probably be a little rank by then anyway). Bell sizes are a little different compared to other brands. I wear a 7 3/8 hat which should put me in a large but since I have a loong oval (egg) shaped head I found a medium to fit best. In a Simpson helmet though I needed a Large so definitely try before buying.

I've got a Bell M4 Pro and love it. It fits me perfectly and I've got a big ole melon head. I also wear glasses BTW and have no problem with them.

Same here. Mine is gloss black and I bought a dark smoke visor for it, so I am stylin' too.