Wheel fitment issue.... Need ruleing

vbspec

Hey guys I'm moving to H1 for 2011 and want to run 235/40/17 tires on 17x8 wheels.

7:12 d) Fenders may be rolled and/or inner lip may be removed to prevent tire rubbing. Fenders may NOT be cut or flared with additional material to increase its size.

What am i allowed to do to make these fit. A fender roller tool would probably do the trick except that my car has been hit in the left rear and there is some extra metal back there. So can the fenders be pulled, can the inner liner be cut in the rear and re welded back? Or am I screwed because of the repair done to this chassis.

my car has been hit in the left rear and there is some extra metal back there. So can the fenders be pulled, can the inner liner be cut in the rear and re welded back? Or am I screwed because of the repair done to this chassis.

I don't see anything wrong with changing the car to get it back to it's original state, as long as it doesn't go any farther. If there is extra metal added during the repair that wasn't there from the factory, I think it's fine to remove it.

Hey guys I'm moving to H1 for 2011 and want to run 235/40/17 tires on 17x8 wheels.

7:12 d) Fenders may be rolled and/or inner lip may be removed to prevent tire rubbing. Fenders may NOT be cut or flared with additional material to increase its size.

after reading this over and over this is my hang up.... in the rear can you cut the inner liner and weld it back together? is the welding considerd "extra material"

on a car that has not had any repairs can you use a fender roller to roll the inner lip and push the rear or front fender past the OEM shape? i ask this because it specifically says no flares but in theroy its the same thing.

Oh I gotcha now. I read that rule as you can bend the fender any way you want as long as you don't cut or add additional material.

The way I interpret this rule is: You can cut out the 'repaired' area and fix it to OEM specs. You can't flare the fenders in any way, just roll the lip.

Where exactly is the extra material? I think what the rule is saying is that you can't cut the fender and add material that flares out. Kind of like the plastic flares you can rivet on to Jeeps or other trucks.

If I'm reading the last 2 posts Erik is saying the rule only pertains to the half inch lip of the rear fender opening. And that said "lip" can only be flattened or removed but the body shape has to stay within an OEM spec.

My problem with this is that there are no specs posted anywhere and it to my knowledge its never been challenged.

And I hope what Jimmy is saying is correct because I really want to run the big wheels and tires next year!!!! But if you are allowed to pull the fender like that then why not allow the addition of a flare? As that's really the same thing.

Thanx for the help. My have to make a call to some guys on the RC so I can get my fd ordered asap

What am i allowed to do to make these fit. A fender roller tool would probably do the trick except that my car has been hit in the left rear and there is some extra metal back there. So can the fenders be pulled, can the inner liner be cut in the rear and re welded back? Or am I screwed because of the repair done to this chassis.

what chassis? I know for a DC2 and an EK a 235-40-17 RA-1 with a 17x8 wheel doesn't need to be flared. You'll have more issues with the tire rubbing on the RTA than it rubbing on the inner 1/4 panel....

if anything use a bat, but you should be fine.

jmeris

chad i agree 100% but from what i'm seeing it appears to be allowed. I mean Downeys car 3 peeted and in his pics it apears the fenders are ulled past oem, jimmy posts the 07 winning car its pulled and Andie built the car that Downeys is running so i assume that the fenders were pulled then too... so it appears that its either legal or a rule thats not enforced...

Please can someone give me a direction on how to find the correct answer on this.

Thanx

Michael

Imo and the way I read the rule, you can hammer, pull, stretch the oe fender/ quarter panel as much as you want. You just can't add, weld or cut anything

Take it for what its worth though.... which isn't much of anything just another opinion

Just pull it out.Then when you drive into turn 11 at Sears Point i will push it back in for ya....lol.......This is what in talkin about,cant cut it cant flar it......MAKE THE RULES LESS RULES GET IT..........No flars but you can pull it out to fit a tire.....End of story...By the time this is cleared up the 2011 season will be here....Not to sound like an a-- hole but make the rules easy.And not so complicated...Thats just my opinion....

• National Staff
Imo and the way I read the rule, you can hammer, pull, stretch the oe fender/ quarter panel as much as you want. You just can't add, weld or cut anything

Take it for what its worth though.... which isn't much of anything just another opinion

That's the way I read the rule too Jimmy!

Brandon, the problem is, if the rule is changed, someone will say the exact same thing about the new wording. It's a vicious cycle.

Right now, I think it's pretty clear. You can clearance them out, but you can't add material (like flares).

Brandon, the problem is, if the rule is changed, someone will say the exact same thing about the new wording. It's a vicious cycle.

Right now, I think it's pretty clear. You can clearance them out, but you can't add material (like flares).

so then the rule about 2/3 tire fitting under the fenders become null and void if you are allowed to alter the body line over the wheels???

if you can run fiberglass or cf fenders why can't i get them with a "WIDE BODY KIT YO"???

• National Staff

so then the rule about 2/3 tire fitting under the fenders become null and void if you are allowed to alter the body line over the wheels???

if you can run fiberglass or cf fenders why can't i get them with a "WIDE BODY KIT YO"???

Haha! You crack me up Chad. The rules don't allow for "wide body kits yo" because people don't want them allowed.

But, the 1/3 rule regarding tire fitment still applies with the "rolling of the fenders" and certainly isn't null and void. It still does what it intended by disallowing people from running the autocross setup where the tires stick way out past the fender lines.

Jeremy. If the 1/3 rule is to stop the "autocross setup" and you can roll the fenders then you could literaly run the width close to 4-5 inches wider per side (and maybe more) by "rolling" the fender. I look at it as the fender can be rolled prob 1-2 inches out and 1/3 of a 9 inch tire gives u 3 more inches. I mean if this is allowed then wy wouldn't the addition of a "flare" or a wider fender be legal? I mean i understand at that point its an aero issue but in H1 especialy i just dont get it.

And i would venture a guess that if this were put to a vote of the competitiors that H1 would be anything goes with a track width max and h2-h5 just lessen said track width max so it will stay close within the body lines

JMO

Michael Harris

Egg I disagree, try and get that much with stock sheet metal. I pushed the limits on the eg and you ARE NOT going going to get 4 to 5 inch of extra track width.

Egg I disagree, try and get that much with stock sheet metal. I pushed the limits on the eg and you ARE NOT going going to get 4 to 5 inch of extra track width.

i can.....i'll go get a pounder and pound that metal thin and reshape it....

if you can flair roll it an inch on a stock fender what's the limit?

Well where theres a will theres a way!!!! And nisesity is the mother of all invention!!!! Like i said a simple track with rule would curb all of this.....

Just pull it out.Then when you drive into turn 11 at Sears Point i will push it back in for ya....lol.......This is what in talkin about,cant cut it cant flar it......MAKE THE RULES LESS RULES GET IT..........No flars but you can pull it out to fit a tire.....End of story...By the time this is cleared up the 2011 season will be here....Not to sound like an a-- hole but make the rules easy.And not so complicated...Thats just my opinion....

+1

I want to add to the OP,I am far from skilled enough to scold about driving..but you are not going to notice a bit of difference on 7.5 and 8 inch rims and some track width.

I ran H1 K series with 3 different engine combos all on 7.5x17-235.Now I am in H2 on 17x7 with 235 and 60hp less and I am going 2 seconds faster.... it is seat time that is magic. Just put 7.5 rims in a 42 offset or so and forget about the complications.

chad i agree 100% but from what i'm seeing it appears to be allowed. I mean Downeys car 3 peeted and in his pics it apears the fenders are ulled past oem, jimmy posts the 07 winning car its pulled and Andie built the car that Downeys is running so i assume that the fenders were pulled then too... so it appears that its either legal or a rule thats not enforced...

Please can someone give me a direction on how to find the correct answer on this.

Thanx

Michael

No additional material was added to mine, but they have been cut, rolled, hammered, welded, and a tiny bit of filler added to give them a nice curve. Not sure it made any difference in me winning 3 championships.. That was all in the cams! Lol