I'd like a little help with 'class'

rscamaro73

OK..I'm working on a 1973 Camaro.

454 ( )....that's my only handicap (forced to be part of the Dark Side)

Anyways.....I'm reading the rules....trying to see if I fit more in the AI /AIX (one year too new for AIV).

I 'WAS' eventually planning on changing out the rear leafs for truck arms and coil springs.....but I didn't know if that would move me into one of the exotic classes or something....I mean....its still an all metal American Muscle Car...production BBC engine....M-21....10 bolt rear...etc...

Just some 'vintage' tweaks here and there....and some updating.

Anyone have some constructive comments I can use for later ? I'm still working on this thing and won't be ready for a year or 3 for any big competition.....(I have 2 other vehicles to fix in the meantime)

Thanks.

Since the 73 looks just like a 70-72, just call it one of those if they're legal for AIV. Oops, I mean sell the 73 and buy one of those.

As long as it meets the other rules of the class, truck arms or whatever else should be legal for AIX. I have a Mustang with truck arms but the 2005 rule changes made it illegal for AI due to the floor pan mods, (hey, that's my new excuse.) but it's legal otherwise.

You should be fine in AI. As far as I know, converting your rear suspesion to coils is legal as long as you are not cutting into the body or modifying the frame. The rules are designed to allow you to improve your suspension with aftermarked products.

That'll be either a very heavy Camaro or a very weak 454 to meet the hp/tq limits for AI.

Lets see... a brand new 454 HO crate engine from GM makes 425 HP and 500 ft at the crank.... so with 15% drive train loss that's 362 HP and 425 ft/lbs at the wheels.

Using these numbers he can weigh 4037 for the TQ number and 3258 for the HP number.

Based on these numbers it looks like you would need a way to maximize your HP and Limit your TQ. The rules aren't kind to a Torque monster... I'll be cutting it close with my 385ci. You can chose a cam shaft and exhaust components to limit TQ a little bit... but it's a shame to choke a motor like that.

I'd just drop in an alum head 350ci or even an LS1 all alum from a modern F-body.

Yup...looks like there's gonna be problems in the wt/power dept...unless I score an AL BBC....lol....then I'm slammed into AIX.....unless I paint it all orange

Well....I still wanna make my car my way.....I guess I might end up toying with the wife's car instead (78 Z-28)....lol....

If you got a ZL-1 rat, you'd have to fill the car with concrete to make the power to weight ratio...

Nawww.....I'd just have to run a 2bbl carb on it....lol....