External Fuel Surge Tank/Swirl Pot Question

LoBuk 517

So, after racing about twice this year I ran into an issue I encountered last season, when I get below half a tank of fuel I get fuel starve after hard turns. According to the rules we can put in a fuel cell, change lines, pump and fuel pressure regulator but there is no mention of surge tanks. I'd like to add one to my fuel system.

1. Is a surge tank allowed?

2. If it is placed in the rear hatch area would it need a containment box?

Thanks,

Zephyr

So, after racing about twice this year I ran into an issue I encountered last season, when I get below half a tank of fuel I get fuel starve after hard turns. According to the rules we can put in a fuel cell, change lines, pump and fuel pressure regulator but there is no mention of surge tanks. I'd like to add one to my fuel system.

1. Is a surge tank allowed?

2. If it is placed in the rear hatch area would it need a containment box?

Thanks,

Zephyr

Hey Z,

I know that you need a containment box for the bladder and metal material separating the driver compartment from the cell which is fairly easy to fab out of light wt aluminum.

I don't know why anyone would have a fuel cell without a surge tank. Fueling could be a real problem given the wide flat configuration of most cells if they didn't. My ATL cell has one and others I have talked to with fuel cells have them as well.

Mike

NASA NE

HC #23

• 3 weeks later...