2011 GTS Rules Now Available

ianacole

Should additional regulations be placed on GTS-1 and GTS-2?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should additional regulations be placed on GTS-1 and GTS-2?

• Yes
    • No

So now we can have somewhere near 11 classes in GTS ??? That makes absolutely no sense. A lot of guys come to GTS because of the simplicity of the rule set, so why complicate it. Seems like that would make a lot of work for all the directors, tech guys and others trying to figure which little piece puts you in what class. Sounds like the same reason guys have left BMW and PCA to come to GTS, so that every little change they do to the car doesn't change their class.

In GTS it seems like the most that complain are the ones that are not running towards the front of their class and think all these changes will fix that. What happens when you get all these changes and you're still not competitive, what do you ask for next ?

-Scott B.

X2! Well said Scott.

I agree...leave the rules alone.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottbm3

• RSCoupe

• ianacole

• JSG1901

So now we can have somewhere near 11 classes in GTS ??? That makes absolutely no sense. A lot of guys come to GTS because of the simplicity of the rule set, so why complicate it. Seems like that would make a lot of work for all the directors, tech guys and others trying to figure which little piece puts you in what class. Sounds like the same reason guys have left BMW and PCA to come to GTS, so that every little change they do to the car doesn't change their class.

In GTS it seems like the most that complain are the ones that are not running towards the front of their class and think all these changes will fix that. What happens when you get all these changes and you're still not competitive, what do you ask for next ?

-Scott B.

I second Scott's comments.

-Scott B.

# 3.....

-Scott B.

Amen, brutha. Add to what you've said the fact that if we suddenly broke GTS into all these additional classes NOBODY would be getting contingency tires, which is a significant motivator for a lot of drivers and can be a significant cost-reducer.

-Scott B.

Amen, brutha. Add to what you've said the fact that if we suddenly broke GTS into all these additional classes NOBODY would be getting contingency tires, which is a significant motivator for a lot of drivers and can be a significant cost-reducer.

I wasn't even using that in my thought process, though it does make a difference. A lot of racers have benefited greatly from the Hoosier tire contingency, my self included . I hope it stays, but it could go away at any time. With or without it, I still think my analogy holds up. When there wasn't a tire deal, the biggest part of the front runners still came with the freshest rubber and always making tweaks to their cars to gain any slight advantage they could. When something works as well as the GTS rule set, it makes no sense to change things to try and satisfy a very small group that thinks it needs to be changed to make their car/setup of choice more competitive. Even when they haven't even come close to maximizing what they are already running. GTS gives you a great place to race, they don't dictate by rules you'll be competitive !

-Scott B.

When something works as well as the GTS rule set, it makes no sense to change things to try and satisfy a very small group that thinks it needs to be changed to make their car/setup of choice more competitive. Even when they haven't even come close to maximizing what they are already running. GTS gives you a great place to race, they don't dictate by rules you'll be competitive !

-Scott B.

In Great Lakes this year we had more hard, close racing than I think we've ever had with numerous sub-second winning margins. Why would we want to risk losing that?

Speaking of tire contingencies.... I'd be curious to know how many racers run on R-compounds, and how many on slicks. Ian can we start a new poll both here on the ST forum?

...What happens when you get all these changes and you're still not competitive, what do you ask for next ?...

I'll ask to drive your car.

Mark,

You're welcome to drive it anytime you like. Once you finally get yours all sorted out, maybe we'll swap cars for a session or two some weekend.

-Scott B.

• Members
...What happens when you get all these changes and you're still not competitive, what do you ask for next ?...

Mark,

You're welcome to drive it anytime you like. Once you finally get yours all sorted out, maybe we'll swap cars for a session or two some weekend.

-Scott B.

Come out this way so I can drive your car at VIR

Mark,

-Scott B.

[Come out this way so I can drive your car at VIR

Will definetly work on that. Then it will be my turn to get some data from you in my car, and my seats adjustable so you'll be able to get a comfy fit !! I'll even give you some semi fresh tires to run on.... Maybe I can get a chance to drive a E46 M3 so I can dream.... ????

-Scott B.

-Scott B.

I wasn't even using that in my thought process, though it does make a difference. A lot of racers have benefited greatly from the Hoosier tire contingency, my self included . I hope it stays, but it could go away at any time. With or without it, I still think my analogy holds up. When there wasn't a tire deal, the biggest part of the front runners still came with the freshest rubber and always making tweaks to their cars to gain any slight advantage they could. When something works as well as the GTS rule set, it makes no sense to change things to try and satisfy a very small group that thinks it needs to be changed to make their car/setup of choice more competitive. Even when they haven't even come close to maximizing what they are already running. GTS gives you a great place to race, they don't dictate by rules you'll be competitive !

-Scott B.

Yes, yes, yes ....... yes to all. Keep it the same!!! I GTS wouldn't be the same if more restrictions were applied.

Mark,

-Scott B.

Sounds good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to re-visit the power to weight ratio formula. Why so high ?

Seems like nearly everyone I race against uses a lot of ballast . I sure would like to run 100lbs lighter and

I am sure my competitors would too. It would make our cars a lot more fun to

drive too. Is there a problem dropping the entire grid by one point ?

Is there any way to re-visit the power to weight ratio formula. Why so high ?

Seems like nearly everyone I race against uses a lot of ballast . I sure would like to run 100lbs lighter and

I am sure my competitors would too. It would make our cars a lot more fun to

drive too. Is there a problem dropping the entire grid by one point ?

You can run 100lbs lighter, or even more, you just have to go up a class. You're not stuck in any one particular class.

Good afternoon all ,

I plan to join the GTS racing group this year just a question on the class using last years Wt to HP ratio i'm right at 13 with new table i'm not sure what group I land in thanks for the help

Rick

# 91

Rookie

Good afternoon all ,

I plan to join the GTS racing group this year just a question on the class using last years Wt to HP ratio i'm right at 13 with new table i'm not sure what group I land in thanks for the help

Rick

# 91

Rookie

3, 4, 5 or U

Agreeing with Scott (again?!) splitting into X or any additional classes is madness.

One Rennlist I see guys wanting a GTS6 as well.

So lets see:

GTS1

GTS1X

GTS2

GTS2X

GTS3

GTS3X

GTS4

GTS4X

GTS5

GTS5X

GTS6

GTS6X

GTSU

GTSUX

That's 14 classes. Why don't we split up the marque's too because each car has it's own advantages, it'd be more fair.

We could then have 147 classes and everyone gets a 1st place trophy! Awesome!

...One Rennlist I see guys wanting a GTS6 as well...

GTS6? What would the limit be there? 4.0 lbs./HP? Then GTSU anything less than that?

They're not happy running in GTSU?

Isn't U a points paying class once again in 2011?

So I see that even though the vote has been overwhelmingly NO, a rule penalizing sequential transmissions was added (Section 4.1), also for factory prepped competition vehicles.

So I see that even though the vote has been overwhelmingly NO, a rule penalizing sequential transmissions was added (Section 4.1), also for factory prepped competition vehicles.

Yea, I thought that was odd too. How does this rule changing process work ?

Ed