HELL YEAH!

ek_brandon

today i finally finished putting together my car with the help of oh-so-patient Ron carrol, and took some test passes around the block. cant wait to get back on the track, hopefully at the crossover... i guess i should be posting this in the hpde section, but HC is where i know people, so deal with it. ill post pics of my whip this week, shes a beauty, wait till you see my "type r" d series motor...jk

note to self: put alternater belt on, replenish fuel, roll fenders so those 225's quit friggin rubbin so bad, fix throttle cable, hook up brake lights, bolt down seat, secure steering column to dash bar, put padding on bars, attach ECU to SOMETHING so it quits rattleing around, attach hood, attach second O2 sensor so the check engine light goes off, and put some kind of muffler on that thing so i dont go deaf... yeah, i guess there alot of loose ends to tie together, but im almost there...

note to self: attach second O2 sensor so the check engine light goes off

If your car is OBD2 ( with 2 o2 sensors i think it is) and you have no cat, just puting in the other o2 sensor will not turn it off.. you will need a o2 simulator..

yeah i heard about putting in some resistor or something to fool the ecu....

you'll need a wave generator... you can build one out of a 555 timer or just buy a pre-built one.

why not just plug it in and mount it out of the exhaust stream?

The o2 sensor will report how much o2 is in the exhaust. OBD2 cars have 2, one upstream of the cat, and one after. The ecu is looking for a difference between the two(the seconds one's job is to see if the cat is working). If you have both installed in the exhaust system without a cat they will report the same amount and turn your check engine light.. If you have the O2 sensore not in the exhaust there will be no signal sent back.. you will get a fault for this too (I have seen it throw a rear o2 sensor- no responce fault).

They do provide for converting to piggy back computers(VAFC, Hondata).

Converting to OBD1 does not give you any real benefit IMO. I'll have to read over the rules, but as a NASA Tech Official, I do not believe it to be illegal. However, I would need to check with National on it.

could he use the body swap rule? and swap everything to OBD1 ? was that chassis made with ODB1? what else would have to changed to use this rule? intake? i dont think there is anything else different..

They do provide for converting to piggy back computers(VAFC, Hondata).

Converting to OBD1 does not give you any real benefit IMO. I'll have to read over the rules, but as a NASA Tech Official, I do not believe it to be illegal. However, I would need to check with National on it.

Was about to post that it is illegal, period. On second thought, smog equipment can be deleted. Also, any ecu (Honda/Acura) can be used. So....if he is removing smog equipment and not removing or changing engine components(intake manifold, tb, etc) then it should be legal. This is my opinion as a rules committee member & the RD for the region he will be racing in.

Brian, no he couldn't use the body swap rule. That body style started in '96. There never was a OBD1 in that chassis.

i found a part on summits web site that fools the second O2 sensor and its only 40 bones, so ill go that route becuase there is no reason to switch back to the less advanced obd1 setup...

if anyone has access to scales, please bring them to buttonwillow, because the techs wont let me put my car on the scales durring the race weekend, and i would like to find out what my weight is so far in the build...

does anyone know which track configuration we will be running?

ok, was not sure about that.

On another note, I talked to a guy that races a OBD2 Honda. He has no cat and the second o2 sensor is in the exhaust. He has not gotten a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light). This got me thinking. On a ODB2 car it will test itself and its sensors to make sure everything is working right. From what I know of ODB2 the tests are pretty much standard for every car. For the car to test the o2 sensor you need to be cruising along with no significant rpm increase or decrease. In a racing situation, our cars never see this. This may be why his MIL light has not shown a fault for the cat or rear o2 sensor.

Just thought I would fill you in.. try it out first see if you get a mil.