floor pan modification?

speedlab93

another good ? can I modifi the floor pan for clreance around a alternator mounted on my rear differential? the hole that the alt. would travel in would of course be coverd. this wouldn't really be any different than modifing the floor for exhaust clearance or transmission fitment per 7.3 b&c .

Since the alternator in this case is on the suspension, then you would be modifying the floorpan for suspension travel clearance, which I don't think is legal.

I would have to agree with Scott on this one (ouch, that hurts!). Since it is not specifically stated as an exception to the rule of the floor pan (like the exhaust IS specifically stated), I would consider it illegal. Spoken as a racer, not a director.

you could lookat it that way but, the alt has no active role in how the suspension moves or operates.

It will affect the suspension if it hits the floor pan!

True, you can look at it a lot of ways, but I am telling you as a director, that is how the directors will look at it.

I think i have a spare turbo around some where? or i could mount it on the transmission , you can modifi the floor for trans. fitment or acces so if its bolted to the trans , I guess its part of the trans then?( if its mounted on the suspension its part of the suspension?)

or I think I'll just say screw the alt. altogether and mount solar panels on the roof to keep the battery charged!

Steve who? that person who used to run the5.0 shop steve?
The Steve from New York that is a transport driver/mechanic, has owned Mustangs in the past and would ask questions like you have. It sounds like somebody who has worked on Trans-Am cars or some other real race cars.

NO, I'm not steve, but do know him very well, thats how I got caught up in all this mustang mess, and working on real race cars! It's all his fault!

And may I ask who you are?

He worked with me at Griggs Racing for a while, and he used to work next door to me at Racer's Group. Now I just bump into him at World Challenge races.

I'm just Cosmo.

• 2 weeks later...

If i mount the alt on the torque arm wich is a form of a three link suspension and you can modifi the floor for a three link is this whithin the rules?

If i mount the alt on the torque arm wich is a form of a three link suspension and you can modifi the floor for a three link is this whithin the rules?

NO. Look at it this way, if someone figured out how to mount an engine to the torque arm, would it be legal to cut the floor to clear the engine, the answer is still no. The cutout for the 3rd link is intended for only the PASSAGE THROUGH the floor, not cutting out the floor for the entire 3rd link. The intent is to keep the cutout of the floor to a minimum.