944S and 944 Spec Racing in KY

jpapalia

i am looking at a 97 944S and would like to prep it for Spec 944 Racing. What would i need to do and how hard is it?

Also, I am new to Spec 944. How active is it in KY? Thanks Joe

Joe,

Welcome!

Check out www.944spec.org for build articles, rules, and answers to all your 944 Spec questions.

I can answer a few things here for you.

I assume you mean an '87 944S. While they are fun cars (I owned an '88), they are not legal for 944 Spec racing. Only 8V (non-S) 944's are eligable. The good news is, there are lots of them out there (bought one today, really ).

As far as racing, it would be a bit of a tow, but there is lots of 944Spec racing in Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. Not much in KY that I know of yet.

Good luck on your quest!

Hello Joe, and welcome to the wonderful world of 944-SPEC racing.

I don't know of many tracks in KY, but if you are willing to travel, there are great regions in all directions that would love to have you join them. NASA-SE runs in NC, SC and GA. NASA-Mid Atlantic runs in VA and WV. Of course, you could travel north and run with the Mid-West and Great Lakes regions too.

Let us know where you are and how far you are willing to travel and we can direct you to your closest region.

Thanks for the input. More questions.... Are there cars available to rent? Kind of like dating before getting married..... And if I can pick up the 944S that runs well, is it a big deal to swap engines? From the rules I think that would be all I would need to do.

Thanks

Joe

Bennington Motorsports (www.BENMS.com) has 944 Spec cars for rent in the MW/Great Lakes area.

You can swap in an 8V motor in to an S chassis, but need to move the motor electrical harness & computer with it. You could probably sell the S motor for a reasonable sum, as well.

Still, it'd be cheaper and easier to start with an 8V car, and they are common.

Bennington Motorsports (http://www.BENMS.com) has 944 Spec cars for rent in the MW/Great Lakes area.

You can swap in an 8V motor in to an S chassis, but need to move the motor electrical harness & computer with it. You could probably sell the S motor for a reasonable sum, as well.

Still, it'd be cheaper and easier to start with an 8V car, and they are common.

don't forget there gearbox from an S has different ratios too. Again it can be swapped with ease, but it is different.